Topic

Multiple uses for a luggage tag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Multiple uses for a luggage tag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

With all that we've invested in our gear, none of us want to accidentally leave a pack somewhere with no way of getting back to us. Sometimes we might have permits inside that might help a good samaritan find the owner, but not always, and I like to keep my ID on my person at all times. I thought about putting a standard luggage tag on there, but most of them seemed either not very durable or waterproof, overly heavy, or too small for a potential do-gooder to find easily.

Then I had a thought. What if something like this custom-engraved acrylic tag could be multi-purposed? Could I then justify its place in my pack?

For starters, it could work as a pot scraper. Does anybody have other ideas?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

A 10-year old boy did a YouTube thing showing how to easily open a Bear Vault using a credit card. So maybe that's another use for your ID card?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

You can buy lamination kits designed to be used as luggage tags. Most people laminate a business card. I always keep my ID in my pack, as I probably won't need it and I want to maximize my base weight. In 50 years of backpacking I have never lost my pack.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

>>"A 10-year old boy did a YouTube thing showing how to easily open a Bear Vault using a credit card."

I saw that a while back, pretty slick. Works too, but it can crimp the card you use.

If the ID card was reflective it could double as a signal mirror…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Road ID tag. You can get one that goes right on some webbing.

Road ID

Or use a label maker and stick one to something..

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I've been using a small hot pink aluminum heart shaped dog tag attached to the outside of my pack that has my contact information engraved on it. Weighs practically nothing. Multipurpose? Identification and shows off my softer side.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

+1 on the pet tags (and they come in many shapes including rectangles!).

I have one engraved with name, contact phone, and my health insurance plan number (in case I'm hurt). Cheap, available on the internet, and very lightweight. Oh, and funky colors!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools