Topic

Strong tent stake….just one for a hexamid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Strong tent stake….just one for a hexamid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Having a hard time searching for this on older posts.
    I'm looking for 1 strong tent stake for my hexamid. Ya know, the one in the front that takes all the weight.
    What do you guys use?
    I spend most time in the sierras if that helps.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

MSR Groundhog. Can't go wrong.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

MSR Ground Hog.

If'n yer really paranoid try an SMC snow stake or pointed snow anchor used for belays.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I just use a standard shepard's hook stake. If the ground is a little dodgy, I put a big rock on it. Never had any problems.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I use Groundhogs too but have had good results with a ti shepard hook with a rock on top in a pinch like someone else said.

Adam

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"I just use a standard shepard's hook stake. If the ground is a little dodgy, I put a big rock on it. Never had any problems."

This is what I do

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I use a groundhog for the front center of my Hexamid. Then i use a mix of mini groundhogs and Ti hooks at the other points. Has worked well.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I never use stakes. I use rocks in the Sierra.Saves carrying the weight of stakes.
    Billy

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Thanks guys.
    I'll probably get myself a groundhog.
    But out of curiousity…can the smc snow stakes penetrate hard dirt?

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Normally use just a standard titanium stake. I've done the rock on top of the stake in strong winds. I do carry a small titanium snow stake I got from Zpacks just in case I need something with more grab and there isn't a large rock laying around or if I'm in sand, but I've never needed to use it.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Ground hog stakes — ouch. It’s easier to push in titanium stakes. And Lawson stakes hold nice.
    “But out of curiousity…can the smc snow stakes penetrate hard dirt?”
    Nope. Shepherd hook stakes are the easiest for mountain soil.

-Barry
    -The mountains were made for tevas.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"can the smc snow stakes penetrate hard dirt?"

It depends. How hard is the dirt?

I start with an ordinary SMC snow stake (about 1.1 oz) and grind down the pointy end a little to give it a sharper edge. The metal is strong enough that it can be pounded down, but that depends on how heavy your sledge hammer is.

–B.G.–

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I had the slightly unnerving experience of discovering that the front cord which came with my Hexmid was frayed from using the mitten hook attachment for the beak. This, as I was setting up in the wind and rain. So now I'm substituting stronger cord. Because, yeah, if this cord/stake fails, the whole tent comes down.

I don't like mitten hooks!

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

I use one SMC snow stake with a Gatewood Cape (it is also what I carry as a "cat trowel"). It can be a little difficult to penetrate hard dirt, but it also has a nice area on top to hammer on. It hasn't ever been a problem getting it set, sometimes I might have to move it a few inches to find dirt it will go into.

By the way, I've not experienced any adverse conditions to test how well it holds in dirt. However, it does seem to stand up well to me tripping on the line in the middle of the night.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"However, it does seem to stand up well to me tripping on the line in the middle of the night."

I solved that problem. I take the dull end of a snow stake and dip it in glow-in-the-dark paint. Assuming that the shelter is erected before sunset, the paint will absorb some sunlight and then it will glow faintly at night. Similarly, there is glow-in-the-dark cord.

–B.G.–

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

As others have said, I also use Lawson's ti hook stakes and they have worked quite well. However, about a year and a half ago now, I decided to start carrying 2 slightly larger diameter stakes for a little better holding power. I like the MSR Carbon Core stakes pretty well, although, for the price, I find it hard to recommend them… I picked mine up with a dividend balance and the 20% off discount.

I also have some of the Sorex stakes from Ruta Locura, and while I don't have the use with them like the MSR's or Lawson's ti hook stakes, I do like them…

Also, take note that both the front and middle back tie out are taking a huge amount of the load on this tent, not just the front stake. If you are concerned with this, I would suggest to carry 2 larger stakes and use them at the front and back, then pin the rest of the tie outs down with some ti hook stakes.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

"I solved that problem. I take the dull end of a snow stake and dip it in glow-in-the-dark paint"

I like that idea, and going to try it. I just hope I don't get carried away, and start painting other gear with it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I just hope I don't get carried away, and start painting other gear with it."

Let strontium aluminate be your friend.

Anything that I might need to find at night, I prepare by painting it with a bit of glow-in-the-dark paint, or else sticking it with glow-in-the-dark tape. That includes headlamp, shelter stakes and poles, water bottle top, sleeping bag zipper pull, etc.

The glow is pretty feeble, but if my eyes are adjusted to night, I can see the glow.

–B.G.–

Susan D
    BPL Member

@susand

Locale: montana

Where can you buy glow-in-the-dark paint? Does it stick well, or do you need to frequently repaint stakes?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

There is Rust-Oleum brand specialty Glow In The Dark luminous latex paint. It comes in a 7-ounce can, so I find that handy for dipping things into it. Latex is not a hard paint, though, so sometimes I find it handy to harden it with a coating of clear fingernail polish.

There is Krylon Glowz spray paint, which comes in a 6-ounce aerosol can.

There is Glow-In-The-Dark luminous adhesive tape. This comes on a large roll, and it is often stocked by stage equipment companies. This is what they use backstage to put on all of the hard items to keep stagehands from bumping into them in the dark.

Let's take a metal shelter stake, for example. If you paint the top of it where it might be hit by a rock, then the glow stuff may disintegrate quickly. If you pick just about any other metal surface on the stake, then it will last longer. How long it lasts will also depend on how you prepare the metal surface. If you roughen up the surface with some sandpaper and then clean and dry it, that works the best.

Glow In The Dark micro cord is manufactured by the Atwood Rope Company and sold through a bazillion retailers. It is only 1.18mm in diameter, so it is not the best choice for some line locks on some shelters.

–B.G.–

Brandon Richards
    BPL Member

@zendragon

Locale: Southern Arizona

"MSR Groundhog."

I second this statement, this is all I use. There is also a smaller lighter version called the mini-groundhog that's just a inch or two shorter but otherwise identical.

Ive used these with my Tadpole 23 (not ultralight by any means), in 30-40 mph winds in both soft and hard dirt and I've never bent one. I've still had to put rocks on them (the minis) in the super soft dirt, but otherwise ne'er a problem with them. I usually carry 6 of them, just a hair over 2oz.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The ground hogs or the 9" Easton stakes work best. SMC snow stakes work best in sandy soil. That being said, in the mountains I usually take titanium shepherd hooks.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Two years ago I got one of these from a bag that Ron Moak had sitting around that I somehow ended up with in my bag after the GGG. (yes, I offered it back to him and he just did the famous Ron laugh – which, of course, is not a laugh, but more of a sigh – giggle) I have been using it for the last two years for my Hexamid Solo, Hexamid Pocket, Skyscape X, and now my Hexamid SolPlex. I have not yet found any ground I could not drive this sucker into. Crazy inexpensive too. I bought one at my local store, as a backup, for $1.89 last month.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have a couple dozen of those from a time long, long ago. Strong, but heavy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools