Topic

particulate filter during chemical purification?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) particulate filter during chemical purification?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Todd
    Thanks for the info.

As for women….be afraid. be very afraid. always.
    : )

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I tested this out in my bathroom using a 2+ platy and the steripen and it works like a champ so I'll be carrying a 1 litre platy as opposed to a nalgene bottle on my next trip.

I did notice some water inside the glass tube after I tested it but I'm not too worried about it at this point.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good to know that the Steripen works with a narrow-mouth platy. What about the smaller size Steripen ("Traveller")? Can it work the same way with a 1L platy? Has anyone tried and lived to tell the tale?

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

I don't own a platypus bladder but the openning is about the same size a soda bottle. Their is no way I can tell to jam the adventurer into the openning.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Ben-

When I get a chance, I'll try it with my Adventurer and 2+Platy with the small opening.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I am holding my breath until you post again. :)

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I can use my steripen adv with small mouth bike bottles but that's about as small as it fits getting the sensor wet. It just barely fits in those as it is. No way the sensor is going inside a small platy or that would save me much timeo.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

Alas, the Adventurer does not appear to work with a regular Platy. (At least I couldn't get it to work.) Oh well, at least it works with the Nalgene Cantenes.

Ryan

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Mine either. Oh well. I'll just use a cut-up 1L Platy.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks for all your feedback!

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I use my Steripen Adventurer with a nalgene 32 oz wide-mouth canteen.

I then dump the treated water into my 3L bladder.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

I got my Steripen Adventurer to use with my 32 oz wide mouthed Nalgene Canteen as well. I still have to put it to use. I intend to then pour the contents into my 48 oz wide mouthed Nalgene Canteen.

Rich

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

This little funnel from Hennessy hammock screws onto the top of a platypus bottle. Use an elstic band to attach a small piece of no-seeum netting over the top, filter oput the "floaties". If you miss a few bugs, remember they are just protien!
    http://hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I tried your technique on an extra Platypus cap that I had, but had problems getting the screen to stay in place. After closer inspection, it looks like you used a soda or water botle cap. My cap has a inner ring, which creates a seal on the inside of the finish (top part with the threads) of the Platypus and teh outside of that raised ring on the cap, which prevented the screen from fitting nicely between the cap and finish. Soda bottle caps create the seal between the top of the finish and the bottom of the cap.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Thomas:

I was too cheap to sacrifice a "real" Platypus bottle cap — the caps that come from supermarket water bottles fit well and are much cheaper. Thanks for the feedback about Platy bottle caps.

I assume you now have a bottle cap filter made with a supermarket bottle cap?

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

An easy way to make sure the Big Zip is secure is to push it against a tree or wall as opposed to using a pinching method between fingers and thumb. Test it by giving a good squeeze.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

To Sean Perry, Chris Wallace, and all others who use their Steripens with narrow mouth Platypus bladders/bottles:

I called and spoke to Miles Maiden of SteriPen (Hydro-Photon) today. Miles explained that the Steripen should be used with wide-mouth or open containers, to allow a full immersion of the glass UV tube. When asked, he specifically recommended against using narrow-mouth containers such as the 1L Platypus.

Finally, for the reason stated above, tests performed by Hydro-Photon and the independent testers were all done using open or wide-mouth containers.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

How do you even get a narrow mouth platy to work ben? The water has to be on the sensor area which is much larger than the glass tube for it to work properly anyway?

Anyway I'll confirm that the glass tube goes all the way inside a standard opening bike bottle and the sensor gets wet providing proper operation (plus it's opaque so you can't see the UV light) :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Chris:

Actually, with the Steripen's very narrow glass tube and rubberized base, you can insert the tube into a narrow mouth platy until it "stops" at the rubberized base. Then, you can turn the Platy upside down and agitate — without a drop of water leaking out!

Sean first mentioned it up above, followed by a confirm from Chris Wallace. That got me pretty excited, so I called Miles @ Steripen to confirm effectiveness. Alas, negatore, so I wanted to pass this info back.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

I have an adventurer and while the glass tube fits in the opening it doesn't trigger the metal sensor.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Well…I have the cap, but haven't had the chance to drill/cut out the hole. Soon!

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I just use my Foster's beer can pot to scoop water to pour into my Platypus. If the water has 'floaties', I jam a bandana into the narrow mouth of the Platy pushing it in to form a small depression I pour the water thru.

Saves that extra half ounce of weight over carrying an 'extra' scoop.

The bandana probably does not work as easily as Ben's mesh cap insert though. It is sometimes a pain to keep it in place with enough of a depression to pour sufficient water quantities thru without the bandana deflecting too much of the water.

Pam

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I've never actually used the SteriPen/Platy combo in the field, I just confirmed it would work using tap water @ home. Guess I need to get a Nalgene Cantene to use it with. I have some AquaMira but having to wait 30 mins means I would have to carry extra water (I assume)and given it's weight it'd still be lighter to carry an old fashioned filter. Maybe I'll try a gravity filter..

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The new UV Aquastar mUV is designed to use in this way, and in my experience works fine with narrow mouth Platys and various plastic water and drink bottles.

Anybody ancient enough to have done their own film developing (you know who you are) know the correct technique: leave some airspace in the container, and slowly invert and return while treating. You'll get plenty of water movement for complete treatment.

It can also be dropped into a pot or widemouth container.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Rick:

Using the device with a narrow-mouth platy — have you talked to /confirmed with Aquastar about its effectiveness? Wonder if they had done any actual testing, etc.?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools