Topic

What is the lightest full bodied air matrass available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the lightest full bodied air matrass available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

It's been a while since I did research and was wondering if the NeoAir was still the lightest air-mat available?

Ta, Mik.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

The Thermarest xlites are still some of the lightest inflatable pads available. Depending on your needs, Klymit also makes some light pads albeit a bit funky though.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

So far, the XLite is it. The lightest of the Klymit pads have extensive cut-outs to lower the weight; if you want the lightest non-cut-out pad, it's the XLite.

But who knows what the future brings?

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Cheers, thank you :)

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

Its hard to beat the NeoAir XLite right now. I have both, and while the Klymit is surprisingly comfortable (I don't really notice the gaps at all)and appears to be of a more durable material, the Klymit pads in the same weight range as the NeoAir are not really insulated, so the XLite has the advantage there. But I normally use a 1/8" CCF to protect the NeoAir, so that adds another 2.5 ounces.

If you were interested in trying the Klymit, they still have some of their refurbished pads on eBay pretty cheap and they take offers. I picked up 2 of their pads this way. I'm going to bring both the Klymit and the Xlite on an overnighter next weekend and try using my packable down jacket zipped around the Klymit as an insulator. I use a quilt, so I cant do the normal method of putting it inside the sleeping bag.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland
    Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Hadn't seen the Multimat before. Looks like it saves weight by not having any insulation?

Ryan

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xlite/product

I'm not sure the XLite has insulation either.

a negative for the multimat is that the website says it's slightly narrower than the XLite. on the other hand you do get to keep the full rectangular shape and it's slightly thicker.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

The Neoair has insulation of sorts which gives it the 3.2R value. Looks like the Multimat has an R value of 1, which is basically none. Would love to get my hands on some of that 20D TPU fabric for MYOG.

Ryan

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

Yes I have got one.

It is colder to sleep on than my Neoair – I've just cut a space blanket up to insulate it – will see if that makes a difference.

I might just go with the womens X-lite in the end….

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

I think that would make sense Ed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools