Topic

BPL GROUP COOKING Recipe Contest: Jetboil Joule Giveaway

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable BPL GROUP COOKING Recipe Contest: Jetboil Joule Giveaway

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Joule

Backpacking Light will be publishing a review of the Jetboil Joule cooking system (inverted canister large volume) on July 9 to coincide with a recipe contest/giveaway.

The contest winner will receive a new Jetboil Joule system.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: June 23, 2014

Here's the rules:

1. Write a backcountry "recipe" article. Include as many of the following elements as possible, in order to maximize its value and enjoyment by our readers:

– A narrative anecdote;
    – Ingredients and amounts for a group of 5 persons;
    – Preparation and packaging instructions;
    – Cooking instructions;
    – Nutritional content;
    – Preparation time required;
    – A discussion of why the reader should try this on their next backpacking trip;

Bonus points for covering all of these elements, with extra extra bonus points for beautiful photos and/or a video.

2. Submit your article to [email protected] with the subject line: "BPL SUMMER 2014 RECIPE CONTEST". If you do a video, send us the link to it on Youtube or Vimeo.

Text should be submitted in MS Word format, images as 800px wide JPGs, and video as 480i SD or 720p HD.

Runners-up / honorable mentions will receive a Lifetime Membership at BPL, or an annual subscription that they can gift to someone else.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Anyone in?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I would Ken but I could never match Ikes's standard.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Deadline is almost here.

I'm interested in knowing how many entered.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I would have… except for: "group of 5 persons"

Seriously… how many people at BPL cook for 5 people while out hiking?

What is this… carcampinglight.com or something?

Come on RJ…. a recipe for 5 people… (rollseyes)

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

oh… and I guess the "MS Word format" would have nixed for me too.

I run MS Windows (as well as Mac machines) and have not installed MS Word for probably 8 years.

What is so wrong with writing things in plain-text format RJ? Why force your reviewers into using an OS specific file format? Why force us to install software we do not want on our computers just for one simple little submission to BPL? Sorry, not going to happen.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

"Seriously… how many people at BPL cook for 5 people while out hiking?"

Ryan Jordan

Many backpacking families. Ever notice how much a hungry kid can eat after a long day on the trail; even a "normal" teenager?

Folks involved with Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops or other outdoor-oriented youth activities.

scouts

Any recipe can be scaled up or down to match the number of mouths to be fed. When one of my kids brings their friends home and they all start circling the refrigerator, it brings a whole new meaning to the term "FEEDING FRENZY". If it holds still long enough to get a fork in it, it's dinner! The same was true with my BSA Venture Crews on their 50 Milers.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"What is so wrong with writing things in plain-text format RJ? Why force your reviewers into using an OS specific file format? Why force us to install software we do not want on our computers just for one simple little submission to BPL?"

C'mon John, you're a computer guy, you know that there are modern day word processors that will save in docx format. As well, Ryan's not a computer guy, if you sent in an rtf file, I'll bet he wouldn't care, since Word would open it with no problem. And as far as your comment above about cooking for 5 people, it seems hard for some folks in these forums to understand that the BPL audience is very diverse. There are many scout leaders – who probably do, at times, cook for 5 or more. There are lightweight, but not UL or SUL, backpackers who do group cooking. etc.

Ryan deserves some of the criticism he gets, IMO, but this is just silly.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

sorry guys, I was just trying to have some fun… I don't attack people. I'm not Ken who likes to rag on RJ at any chance he can get ;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I use Word 2003 – so that would be 11 years old : )

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

how many people at BPL cook for 5 people while out hiking?

I do quite often – we like to hike with friends. But I didn't really feel up to writing up a recipe with all the bullet points that RJ mentioned, and not having it be mind-blowingly boring both for myself and any potential readers. Plus I don't have much interest in winning a Jetboil.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have foolproof recipes that I've used in the backcountry for decades, but I have no idea about the nutritional content. Nor do I know how to develop that information. So, I'm out.

If you have recipes that you want to test out, try feeding that to a small group of backpackers about four or five times per year. Real quickly you will learn what is acceptable and what is not.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

sighs.

uneffingbelievable.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Joule looks like an interesting system. Jetboil labels this as "The Jetboil Joule Group Cooking System" which is perhaps why BPL is soliciting recipes for 5 or so people.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Update?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

July 9th has long past.

What is going on with the contest and recipes?

Typical poor communication, sorry to say.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

YouTube search reveals nothing. Anyone enter?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Finally.

Contest Winner

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Any more recipes forthcoming? Like second and third place? Would like to see a meal. Still interested in knowing how many entrees there were.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools