Topic

Trolls?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trolls?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

What's up with the insane and inane gear questions lately? Am I just getting old or has the site been invaded by the lazy, or worse, jokers?

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I am looking for socks. I am 6 ft 241 LBS. I like the Game of Thrones. I have brown eyes. I spent some time in Colorado.
    Any suggestions or personal experiences with socks you could share.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

It's spring, everyone is getting ready to hit the mountains.

Gaute Lote
    BPL Member

@glote

Locale: Norway

The trolls should stay in the woods and mountains like they used to
    http://www.berfrois.com/2012/08/kittelsens-trolls/

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Not everyone has English as a first language.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I agree with Spelt about the language and I also think that one should keep in mind that there are cultural differences at play sometimes.

Brandon Richards
    BPL Member

@zendragon

Locale: Southern Arizona

Why do you care so much? Just because you may have been here a while, and had all your questions answered and/or worked through any issues you may have had. Doesn't mean that people just getting into the sport don't have questions as well. Often times searching for something turns up outdated information and its nice to facilitate a more updated discussion on a topic.

If every answer to every question could be found by just searching, then nobody would post in here anymore and it would be a pretty boring place. That is the kind of attitude I would expect on car forums. The, "I've been here forever, and know everything there is to know, so I'm going to bash on all the newbies that ask stupid questions" thing. UL backpacking does not suddenly make you cool enough to justify that elitist attitude.

I love to see new people getting involved in the "sport" and I am always happy to share my personal, experience however limited it might be comparison to others. I like to see more people supporting the cause, as well as the companies that make gear to support us. The best way to do that is to help and not hinder with the assimilation of the newbs. Which means answering the "inane" questions, and enjoying the endless conversation on a topic that we all know and love. If a person asks something to which they get no answer, they will probably go do more research on their own. So, if you don't want to respond to a post, then just ignore it, simple as that.

J Mag

@goprogator

Brandon you are taking offense to something you shouldn't. He is referring to a specific set of people who have been on the forum lately.

This forum might not be the friendliest, but honestly if people come on this forum and ask the same questions repeatedly while ignoring the advice of people much more experienced than them I understand where the frustration comes in.

It has nothing to do with a language barrier. A fully self supported 18 month hike through the Americas or self-sustained 4 month hike "off the land" through Greece when you have no backpacking experience is a BAD IDEA. CATTIVA IDEA. κακή ιδέα.

Regardless of ALL of this, the forum has still been answering all of these questions over and over again for these people. So I would say they are getting a pretty good deal.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"It has nothing to do with the language barrier"

Maybe read the entire thread again. Besides this thread people here get picked on, mildly yes, for language issues fairly regularly.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

",,,for language issues fairly regularly."

Other than some comments about his poor grammar directed at the guy who was in reality selling bogus gift cards, I don't think this is the case here at BPL.

J Mag

@goprogator

Where in this thread did someone get picked on for their English skills?

And yes a few people do nitpick occasionally (and even that is a strong word) when a friend of theirs makes a typo. But calling it "regularly" is an exaggeration as we both know.

I know you know the people this thread refers to and that you have seen the 100 posts to these people trying to be helpful (and possibly save a life) only to be ignored and the same question posted an hour or week later. These people would be getting the same responses if they were asking these questions in their native country. The language barrier has nothing to do with being ignorant and I don't see why that excuse keeps getting used.

I don't care if these people post or not. They can live their life however they want. I'm saying I see where the frustration comes from.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am not the first to bring up English not being some people's first language. The second post on this thread could be interpreted as poking fun at someone with language difficulties, among other issues.
    To me the cultural differences are more relevant and if you are from somewhere else you tend to see how the dominant culture can sometimes be insensitive or clueless.

Edited:
    How exactly do you know that these people would get the same responses in their country? I don't know that and I can't imagine you know either.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Yes.. you should buy cuben ones from Joe. There is a 8-week wait time and they are $200 each.

J Mag

@goprogator

The fact you see that 2nd post as having anything to do with language difficulties means you are clearly reaching to find a connection, which I don't really understand. The post is a jibe to people giving unrelated/insufficient information and expecting an answer. Would someone who doesn't speak English be referencing Game of Thrones?

I know people would get the same response because there are experienced and responsible backpackers in every country. None of them would recommend going on the types of trips some people are planning on with NO experience in the area or even backpacking.

If someone who has never even driven a car comes to me and asks what formula 1 car they should drive in a race, I am going to tell them it's not a good idea and advise against it without more driving experience. I don't care what language they speak or where they are from.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I started this mess. I really was confused. Questions like recommend a tent for rain, are almost too ridiculous to be honest questions. Anyway, I meant no harm to anyone and did not raise any thread in particular on purpose. Spring time may be the best answer yet. Hell i like a good softball question I don't even need a cup of coffee to answer. It's not just one or two, to me it seems like there has been an onslaught. I legitimately wondered – and considered myself – if someone here or else where had not setup a pseudonym to give some of us a rile. Anyway, as you were. Carry on. – And thanks for the answers – at least those free of criticism. If you can read you know when the issue is a language barrier and we are generous to a fault on that point here. Lots of international folks. The queries as of late, have been altogether of a lower quality sans syntax or english skills.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

On a lighter note, the folk in Michigan's Upper Peninsula calls the Lower Peninsula "Trolls" as they say they live below the Mackinac Bridge.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

>"It has nothing to do with a language barrier. A fully self supported 18 month hike through the Americas or self-sustained 4 month hike "off the land" through Greece when you have no backpacking experience is a BAD IDEA. CATTIVA IDEA. κακή ιδέα."

As of their most recent posts, neither of the people you refer to are planning hikes that match the above descriptions. The Central and South America trip sounds like it's been scaled back to a hostel-to-hostel (and couch-surfing) thing, with some wild land backpacking/camping thrown in. Doable and relatively low-risk, regardless of the tent of bag she finally selects. The Greece trip pretty quickly got scaled back to 25 days, and then the "live-of-the-land" thing was dropped. I still think that trip is far too ambitious, but I suspect the chances of it being attempted as planned are slim.

Why is this important? Because I don't think these posters were ever really trolling. Naive, yes. Headstrong? Probably. But it's also pretty clear the reason both made changes to their original plans was because of patient, polite advice from longtime participants on these forums. Maybe that advice wasn't acknowledged, and maybe it wasn't accepted in as timely a fashion as some would have liked. Or (particularly in the case of the Greece trip) as completely. What either poster will ultimately do, I have no idea.

It's also worth pointing out the threads in question have had a *lot* of responses. Prob. because most of us can't resist the temptation to play the voice of authority, or to try to "save a life" (a pretty risk-free form of heroism). I definitely include myself and my own motivations in that statement.

I don't think these forums existed back in 2002. But imagine they had, and imagine the response to college student with no previous overnight backpacking experience, announcing they were planning an AT thru hike as a first trip. Plus, they need to complete the hike in only three months.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Again JMag, I am not the one who initiated the language issue, I merely agreed with another poster, but if you need to keep calling me out on this that is ok too.
    I know I came to this country from a different culture ( 2 actually) and at times it was hard to be confronted with the assumption that once you can express yourself in English you are also on board with etiquette and everything else.
    I myself pretty much attacked a gentlemen from a different culture a few years ago for posting about his girlfriend and wanting to do everything right for her, pretty much taking care of her as if she was some dainty princess. It was later pointed out to me that I might be assuming that every woman wants to take care of things herself, and that there are also cultural differences at play. I spent ages 9 to 19 In Italy and the way people communicate is not nearly as direct as it is here .
    I don't disagree with the fact that concepts of safety are not a matter of language; I would just hold back the troll calling when other factors are at play .

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

@John Martin,

Back when I was younger, I had great luck with socks. I found them to be comfortable, lightweight, and to dry fairly quickly if they were the synthetic variety.

Unfortunately their main pitfall, at least to me, seemed to be durability. A brand new pair of merino socks would barely last a single backpacking trip before becoming pockmarked with holes. In mossy, forested environs, they fared better, but in anything rocky at all, they would really fall apart, especially on the soles, and the rocks would poke right through the fabric and jab my tender, bare feet underneath.

I honestly just about gave up on backpacking due to all my persistent and seemingly intractable sock-induced foot problems…

Luckily for me though, I had the good fortune to run into a very knowledgeable fellow backpacker one day while hiking in my socks on a particularly rocky stretch of trail. He saw the pained expression on my face as I hiked by him, looked down at my feet, and at that "moment a knowing" look crossed his face.

He proceeded to tell me about these things called shoes. At first, I was skeptical (rubber… on my feet?!!!), and I couldn't even begin to imagine how the tightening mechanism worked with all those interwoven strings and the special knots you had to tie to affix them.

But let me tell you people, while there was certainly a steep learning curve with shoes, they are so they worth it! I can even walk through cactus country without constantly being pricked on the soles of my feet. It's like something out of a dream. Shoes have totally revolutionized my hiking experience.

Of course, YMMV and all that, but I think everyone should at least give them a try.

For those of you who want to learn more about these things, just google "shoes." There is a surprising amount of info about them on the internet…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I agree with J Mag that (some) people come here and ask the same d@mn questions repeatedly, as though the answers they were given the first time were irrelevant.

Really, these people need to be INSTANTLY reminded that the question has been "asked and answered", as lawyers like to say. Just abruptly refer them to their previous post for answers.

It is actually insulting to those of us who took the time to answer their first post to see the SAME question posted over and over.

Nuf sed!

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I read through this entire thread to find a recommendation for which tent to use in rain, and nobody answered. So I guess I will have to start a new thread to ask.

J Mag

@goprogator

Yes I understand where you are coming from. I have not used the word troll and I agree it is too strong for this conversation.

I don't think people are coming on here to be rude intentionally. I don't want anyone to get the impression BPL is unfriendly to newcomers. I was one only a few months ago. I'm just letting people know that if they do zero research on their own and then come here and post multiple threads about the same subject only to ignore the advice they get it will be frowned upon by many.

Also I think a lot of new people are getting the wrong idea with this thread. I am only referring to two people in particular who have been a bit over the top in dismissing the opinions of the more experienced who were only trying to help them. Neither have posted in this thread.

In a way though, some of this must be working because as David mentioned both of those posters have reduced their plans significantly and are actually becoming part of the discussion in the threads they create.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I think I'm going to start a thread about the best writing instrument for the JMT. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cameron Habib
    Spectator

@camhabib

What's a writing instrument?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

What is the best black powder pistol for self defense to carry on a continental divide through hike?

What is the most weight efficient ukelele for light and fast backpacking at 9,500 feet of elevation?

Which sub 2 ounce windshirt can survive bushwacking in the desert?

Which tank top has the highest uv rating for summer alpine climbing?

What are the warmest shorts for cross country skiing in Montana?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools