Topic

Soylent Green is People

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Soylent Green is People

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ever hear of Soylent?

http://soylent.me/

Calm down, Charleton Heston, this stuff is neat. It's all-day nutrition food powder. Not sure if the weight to nutrition value beats current freeze-drying techniques or MRE's…

Also not sure if it's people. The guy in the video says "Our cells are made of x, y, and z, and Soylent is made of that."

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

:( I wanted to make Charleton Heston jokes…

Edit: You damn, dirty apes!

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Max, finally! Are you the first person to officially point this connection out? Been seeing discussion of this stuff on different threads here, and all I could think was "Seriously, are they REALLY going with that name? Did they see the movie?" Ironic names might work for shoes or tech gear, but not so much I'm guessing for stuff you are marketing to put into people's bodies. As a kid who grew up with that movie, I would never go anywhere near anything named Soylent, green or otherwise! :-O

Get yer stinkin' hands off me, you damn dirty marketers!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Local restaurant, Laughing Planet, has a product called Soylent Green. I wouldn't consider ordering it : )

Also, I don't like "fake meat". I like meat, and I like legumes/mushrooms/etc. but there's no reason to pretend they're meat. Some days I eat no meat. A lot of times I'll eat meat more as a flavoring than the main course.

J Mag

@goprogator

I have seen it pointed out in every single thread about it…

From the second post in a thread from March 2013

"It's made of people!!!"

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/74900/index.html?skip_to_post=639808#639808

I also was very surprised they would go with that name but maybe they are targeting people my age most of which would not get the reference. Or they think it's funny.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

"I also was very surprised they would go with that name but maybe they are targeting people my age most of which would not get the reference. Or they think it's funny."

Or, when it comes out that it really is made of people, they don't want to get sued? :-O

;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm not impressed by solylent at all. It's not really a whole foods type product. The only whole food ingredient in it that i can tell, is oat flour. Oats are a great food, provided they are well soaked and then well cooked. Why, because they contain such a high level of phytates which are anti nutrients that bind to minerals and proteins making them unusable by the body. It seems that traditional cultures that used oats somehow knew this, because almost all of them would both soak and cook the oats for a long time, the combo of which gets rid of the phytates. (another high phytate food is soybeans, and traditional cultures would often ferment same, which is another way to get rid of these anti-nutrients).

I'm guessing they are just using ground up raw oat flour, which is not going to get cooked. No bueno.

Then, most of the nutrients added, especially the vitamins are the typical, cheap, and less bioavailable and more synthetic types. Some of the minerals might be in a sense "natural", but take the calcium they use–calcium carbonate–it's essentially chalk and not one of the more bioavailable forms of calcium.

While it's a bit expensive, something like Garden of Life Raw Meal will be MUCH better for the body. I think they do add some extra nutrients, but these are food sourced, and the main ingredients themselves are highly nutritious and highly bioavailable.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

The Borg episodes on Star Trek pretty much ruined the the whole liquid diet thing for me. Not to mention bite valves and hydration systems. Basically anything combining tubes and/or liquids and nutrient consumption. The "Soylent" name in this case is just a big fat fly on top of the cow patty.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I feel rather taken with the idea. Maybe I'm young.

"Do I want to cook tonight? I could go out…. Nah, I'm going to chug this paste for 23 seconds and go back to what I was doing."

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools