Topic

La Culata Mountain Range – Venezuela, April 2014

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports La Culata Mountain Range – Venezuela, April 2014

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jorge Falcon
    BPL Member

@jorge-falcon

Locale: CCS

This April I came back to the same mountain pass of last October trek (see the report), but this time i was aiming for the summit, with 15,541 feet, the Piedras Blancas peak is the highest of La Culata mountain range.

Day 1 – Valley Mifafi to Base Camp: starting at the Mifafi Condor reserve, we passed through the beautiful valley of the same name and soon we were at "El Domo", a majestic mountain that stands in the way. A light drizzle accompanied us throughout the morning.

El Domo

The weather improved a lot for the afternoon, allowing us to enjoy clear views of nearby peaks.

Los Nevados Peak

Finally, we arrived at base camp, ate dinner and rest during the night.

Base Camp
    Piedras Blancas peak can be seen at the top right.

Day 2 – Piedras Blancas: it started raining very early so we wait for the weather to improve a bit and began the steep and narrow path to the summit. We took a break as well a some snacks on a beautiful lake near our goal at 15,000 feet, but soon, it started to rain again and everything got covered in mist.

Laggon near the summit

The final steps to approach any peak are somewhat difficult, so it is best done in dry conditions with good visibility, therefore, I considered that it was better to descend back to camp.

Cold rain
    Not a good day to reach the summit.

Day 3 – return: the weather worsened, lots of rain and cold below 30F, soon it turned into hail and light snow. A good opportunity to test my gear! and I must say that it performed very well!

Wet

I think that the enjoyment is in every step of the trail, each view … having a goal, a summit, only adds up to the experience, however, the simple fact of being several days walking in places like these is what drives me.

Yeah

Here you can check my gear list, and the video.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools