Topic

Some local canyoneering…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Some local canyoneering…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Looks fantastic! I've been wondering this for a bit, and you seem like a person to ask. How would one get started doing canyoneering in the San Gabriels?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Do you have any experience climbing or with ropes or are you completely starting from scratch?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Awesome Craig. Looks gorgeous.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I've done a fair amount of top-roping in rock gyms. I know how to belay and rappel, but placing protection would be new to me.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

There is so much to safely practice on at Stoney Point if you have a good book and a rope and some very basic gear. For canyon-oriented stuff, there are many bolted anchors on top of high but low angle slabs to practice rappelling on. Plenty to do on steep or overhanging rock as well. It's a good place to practice. I'm likely going to go out there next weekend with my kids; I want to get them up to speed for easy Utah canyons this summer as well as practice a few things myself (passing knots on rappel and a few rope climbing techniques as well as lowering an injured partner scenarios).

I can place climbing anchors (used to lead easy stuff) but have yet to do anything very serious while canyoneering. Everything I've done so far, which isn't much, has only involved wrapping trees or boulders with webbing or simply replacing slings on bolt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools