Topic

Gas cannister caps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gas cannister caps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Can I safely omit the cap on my gas cannister or does it provide important protection to the spigot?

TKB 1979

@arizona1979

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST

I was just wondering this as well. I think it was last night in my garage …. Seems dumb, but I hesitated at leaving it off, so hopefully someone out there knows ….

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

See the thread on Brass vs Aluminum Threads on Canister Stoves. The thinking of several of us, is that dirt and abrasion are responsible for the reports of stoves wearing out their threads prematurely, causing the canister to drop off the stove. The cleaner you can keep the threads, the longer the use should be from your stove. Worth the 0.0 oz penalty (on my scale).

I also wipe threads on stove and canister with a bandana before assembly.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=90820

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Risking dinged threads or plugged jets from crap in the canister opening just to save one gram doesn't seem wise if it were me.

As well as abraded stove threads like Delmar mentioned.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The question is, what clever ways do you have to use the old caps???

Spoon maybe?

TKB 1979

@arizona1979

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST

SUL soup bowl.

steven franchuk

@surf

the purpose of the cap is to keep dire and debris out of the lindal valve. If dirt gets in the valve of the canister it may not seal after you remove the stove. It also keeps dirt off of the threads. However even with clean threads you can strip the threads if you overtighten or cross thread the stove onto the canister.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Can I safely omit the cap on my gas cannister
    In short, NO.

It keeps all sort of dirt out of the valve. Dirt that can make the valve leak or block the jet.

Cheers

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I always leave them at home. My stove has been fine for the last 11 years or so.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

@ Jeff. How do you pack your canister? In your cook pot or pack? Or in a mesh side pocket on the outside? See where I'm going?

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I normally just cram it in my pack where it fills a void between stuff sacks nicely.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools