Topic

Rational Solo Fear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Rational Solo Fear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Jennifer makes a good point about road access. People tend to drive out to certain areas for their parties and they don't need guns to be scary.

Funny story, the only time I was threatened with a "gun" was some idiots playing with a airsoft gun around a campfire. Not lethal but I didn't want to lose an eye. After my friend took a pellet in the check I announced that if any pellets came my way I'd return fire with bear spray. Worked like a charm, they knew I was just crazy enough to do it.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

My friend has his 9 year old little girl in mixed martial arts. She knows exactly where to hit a boy to take him out. I don't think she'll be a victim of anyone. She has a pink BB gun too. I imagine the boys will treat her with a LOT of respect when she reaches the dating years.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

As far as a "Rational" solo fear goes…

I'm not a huge fan of talus and scree but if for some reason I decided to take on the SHR, I think the threat of having a foot pinned by a rock is very real and the OP is not the first person to have this happen to them.

This is far different that the Wonderland Trail, for example, which is not really a wilderness experience as you'll be on a well defined trail and during peak season, you're sure to pass a hiker every few hours or so and a ranger almost daily.

Then there are places like the Blue Mountains of Washington and Oregon where you can still hike on well defined trails but it's still possible to plan hikes where you won't see another human soul for days at a time. I'm of the opinion that "fear" and more importantly, "risk" in this case can easily be neutralized with good judgment. As long as I pick my stream crossings wisely, avoid any sketchy scrambles, hang my food, and use some common sense in mountain lion country (more for shorter people), then my risk is pretty low when compared to driving around town.

Virginia Craft
    Spectator

@as-it-is

+1 Ian
    And another + for hiking the SHR!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm not a huge fan of talus and scree but if for some reason I decided to take on the SHR, I think the threat of having a foot pinned by a rock is very real and the OP is not the first person to have this happen to them."

Indeed. Why, our very own Dr J recently came to the rescue of a victim in exactly that situation just below Alpine Col. Which, BTW, is just a stones throw from the SHR where it goes over Snow Tongue Col. So, be warned that you'd better have a very good reason to do the SHR if scree and talus aren't your game. ;0)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ian, you sure do look purty in rainbow–matches your colorful "aura". And never let anyone call that a tutu, it's an extra breathable Kilt by God, a Kilt! Which leads to the age old question ever asked of gents wearing a Kilt….

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Well Justin, I posted this picture on Facebook and I think my old roommate from Ft. Campbell said it best…

"Ian used to traipse around our barracks room in a tutu. That wasn't really the disturbing part. He neglected to wear any undergarments, while showcasing said tutu…now that was disturbing."

Virginia Craft
    Spectator

@as-it-is

A high adventure tutu, that is!
    Hahahaha I just saw that photo (don't know how I missed it before).

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Well Justin, I posted this picture on Facebook and I think my old roommate from Ft. Campbell said it best…

'Ian used to traipse around our barracks room in a tutu. That wasn't really the disturbing part. He neglected to wear any undergarments, while showcasing said tutu…now that was disturbing.'"

Hodor? Hodor!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"'He neglected to wear any undergarments, while showcasing said tutu…now that was disturbing.'"

No. What's disturbing is that your roommate even noticed. ;0)

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

"all a bunch of drunk rednecks driving beat up trucks and shooting anything that moves. And she probably thinks we live in trailers, marry our cousins and get fat drinking beer on flee infested sofas. And she'll probably say we love our guns more then our kids because we didn't support Obama's gun control push."

Wait a minute, I resemble that remark!

My hikes are mostly with a group, but when hiking solo I stay on trail and try to be more careful, and hike to popular areas. I fell and broke my leg once (its not smart to run down a rocky trail with a full and heavy pack). I was helped by my friends, but I could have probably made it out. I broke a foot once on the JMT, from a big rock rolling down Split Mtn. It landed on my boot. I limped out with that one, with the group being a big aid and safety factor. I was on a trip where a guy skiied off a cornice, and tumbled down a steep slope with skis attached with leather runaway straps. He got a deep slash on his face from a ski edge. I'd probably be safer solo than with that guy. Every trip he went on somebody got hurt.

HOWEVER, when I have the time off, and nobody to go hiking with me, I go solo rather than not go at all. I take the dog these days, for some intelligent conversation.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools