Topic

Synthetic fill hooded jacket pattern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Synthetic fill hooded jacket pattern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Danny Sharp
    Spectator

@dannyj

Locale: Australia

Hello, I'm looking to make a hooded jacket with synthetic fill. I have at the moment a McCalls pattern and I'm wondering if this will suffice or are there better patterns to work from? I'm also having troubles sourcing a couple of YKK #3, 36" open ended zippers for the vest I'm making and this jacket. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'm finding plenty of #5 zippers but no #3. Is this size zipper suitable as the main front zip or too small?

Cheers

Danny

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

Quest outfitters has #3 separating zippers. You could email them and ask what it would cost to ship to Australia. They charge exact shipping (hence why I say email them instead of just checking out what their cart system says) so you could potentially have them send it first class mail for not too much. Personally I would just go with a #5.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

McCalls, Green Pepper, etc type pattern should work fine.

Timothy Schroeder
    BPL Member

@chondrotim

I get most of my zippers at cleanersupply.com. They have quite a selection of types, sizes, and colors. It looks like they do international orders though not through the website.

Tim

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Danny – Welcome to the paucity of top end MYOG materials in Australia. If you don't have the materials yet it may be worth looking at the Thru-Hiker Maxima Jacket kit and add some fabric and fill for the hood – there is hood pattern on the web site on the Projects page. AYCE also has the 36" open ended zip you want.

Danny Sharp
    Spectator

@dannyj

Locale: Australia

That's great I'm on to it.

Mark I agree it's a sad situation here in Australia if you want to myog, there is precious little choice. Having to import materials pretty much removes any financial benefit, you really have to enjoy the process for it to be worthwhile. Luckily I'm really enjoying the learning curve, working with your hands to create something that also has a practical function is a very rewarding experience.

Danny

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools