Topic

Trip for injured friend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trip for injured friend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I have a friend who injured his hip last year in a bike accident. He's able to walk, but for backpacking he'll be limited to 5-6 miles of easy terrain.
    We're hoping for a hike in, stay a few nights type of trip. Preferably above 9k ft where it's scenic sometime early August in the sierras.

Any trip suggestions?

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

You could start at the far end of Florence Lake and hike to the JMT, along the river, and then up Goddard Canyon, turning around wherever is convenient. It would be out-and-back with a gentle slope and plenty of campsites along the way. It's mostly below 9,000 feet but still very scenic.

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

You've probably already thought about Yosemite hikes like TM to Glen Aulin (5.3mi one-way) or TM up Lyell Canyon which is flat for almost 9 miles. Again, both are below 9,000, but still very scenic. Glen Aulin offers more side-hike options if you don't want to move your campsite.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Well, for easy access, nice scenery, JMT, and high(ish) elevation the best place by far with all those features is Lyell valley. Might be a bit crowded close to the road in August, but once you get past the day hikers should be OK. Its about 11 miles or virtually flat walking up a beautiful valley with a beautiful river surrounded by mountains. Mt. Lyell (or at least the general area), the highest peak in Yosemite will be visible at the head of the Canyon after 4 or 5 miles. Its one of the longest, if not the longest, flat stretches in the sierra. Permits however, might be an issue. Have to do a walk up.

If this is the first time your friend has gone backpacking post-injury I think this might be the ticket – the least likely route to cause him to want to turn back early. Let him get something like this under his bet first, and maybe he will actually want to go again.

You could squeeze and very leisurely 4 day 3 nigh trip out of this based on the mileage you mention going up the valley and then back. You could do some fishing and/or lounging by the river to fill in the time, and when you reach the part at the end of the valley, depending on how he is doing, you could go up as far as you want. Even if you don't go to the top there are some nice views of the valley and some camping spots up there.

Should be lots of other suggestion, maybe one less of a permit issue. Good luck.

Edit: David's and my posts passed in the ether.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Complete with a ferry ride to start…and easy hiking around a gorgeous landscape

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is no Twenty Lakes basin in Yosemite National Park.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Maybe divide that by 2? Sounds like only half as fabulous. And no ferry. ;-)

Maybe somewhere else entirely is meant.

Edit: Inyo?

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Saddlebag-20-Lakes-Basin-Yos-near-Lee-Vining-CA-1201

Pics look great.

But seriously – 10 lakes in Yosemite might be another good one for hiking in an staying a few days w/day excursions. Maybe a bit more strenuous.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, there is a Twenty Lakes Basin outside of Yosemite near Saddlebag Lake.

There is a Ten Lakes Basin inside of Yosemite near Yosemite Creek. It is only seven or so miles to get there, but it is not particularly simple. I can't remember, maybe 2200 feet of elevation gain. Plus, there aren't ten lakes there. I last counted about seven. It used to be a real bear haven, although I haven't been there in the last couple of years.

–B.G.–

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Twenty Lakes Basin just east of Yosemite. Ferry across Saddlebag Lake, and hike around a wonderful area.

And if you go about four miles west, you enter Yosemite

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Is there a lot of good camping spots in 20 lakes basin?
    That sounds really easy/good for him.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Has the best campsites. But set up a base camp there, then wander all over the area. Fishing is different in each lake, as is the scenery.

ANother option might be to have your gear packed in to a remote location, and then set up a base camp there, where you could explore for days. That's a more expensive option, but certainly one to consider for someone who has limited strength or mobility. No, it's not lightweight backpacking.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks guys!
    20 lakes basin sounds like the best option. :)
    Bummer is it sounds like there's no fires allowed eh? My friend and my brother are those "it's not camping if there's no fire" type…. So this will take some convincing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools