Topic

Which Sleeping Bag / Shelter Combo for Philmont

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Which Sleeping Bag / Shelter Combo for Philmont

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

Locale: Chicagoland

Which Sleeping Bag / Shelter Combo for Philmont in late June? Highest camp about 9.200 ft. for two nights.

Background:
    I went on an autumn adventure a few years ago, over packed on the sleeping bag with a 3.3lb zero degree down sleeping bag. Base weight back then was only slightly higher do to the sleeping bag, extra coat, and over packing on non-essentials. My goal this time is to be as light as possible, but still confortable. What combo should I bring, and please note the base weights assume I'm bringing extra cold weather stuff. I don't want to pack my fears, so … what should I bring?

Quilt:
    GoLite Ultra 20 Degree Quilt Fill Weight: 382 g 13.4 oz. fill weight 1.7 lbs

Traditional Sleeping Bag:
    First Ascent Everest 50th Anniversary Karakoram +20° DownTek 850 weight 2.4 lbs

Shelter:
    Tarptent Double Rainbow with Poles and Cuben stuff sack stakes and bag: 2.7 lbs

GoLite Shangrala-2 Tarp, Stakes and Bag, Simply Light Floor 2.0 lbs
    ( I bring Carbon Fibre Trekking poles either way)

Weights (includes, fleece beanie, light cloves, buff, and a balaclava & a Pataguci down sweater)
    Base weight with Quilt and Tarp 11.5 lbs
    Base weight with Quit and DR 12.34

Base weight with Sleeping Bag and Tarp 12.26 lbs
    Base weight with Sleeping and DR 13 lbs

John Rorke
    Spectator

@joshetal

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Hey David,

With the down sweater and only the two nights pushing the temp comfort limit even a little, the quilt seems logical. Have you seen the drought situation this year? Still little rain and holding at extreme drought conditions which I read as high probability of very dusty conditions. Does this change your tarp plus floor thinking as far as shelter? Last post of one of last year's comments was from Tony Fischer where he linked to gear he took. He took a DR and was very pleased. Such an awesome easy to pitch and strike plus the more likely dust resistance would sway me. That said, our crew is taking a BD mega plus floor for weight savings too. Curious, does your shangra la have a mesh connection between tarp and floor? Which trek takes you to 9200 for 2 nights? Josh

David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

John,

No My SL2 does not have netting, but my SL3 that my son and his buddy will be taking does have it sewn on the bottom Sewing the netting on was a project I did as an option for my last Philmont trek, but ended up taking my one person Mountain Hardware Stiletto . I could take that tent this year also. It weighs in the same as the Rainbow, has a full inter nest, and very waterproof skin. I actually stay very warm in that tent due to the netting, and size.

I considered doing the same on the SL2, but I kind of like the fact that I have a two pound two person tent option. The bugs are really not an issue at Philmont, but as you said the dust is.

Hmmm options options options ..

John Rorke
    Spectator

@joshetal

David,

Don't mean to hijack your thread at all, but I am excited to read you sewed netting in to that SL3! Just what we are about to do this week to the two BD Mega Light and Mega floor set ups we have for August. Did you learn anything you could pass along? Our plan is to sew Zpack ultralight netting 15" wide to the outside of the bathtub floor and velcro to the top of that netting, then use the corresponding velcro sewed to the tarp. Thinking a triangular door netting wider at the base and decreasing towards the top of the door opening. About 4 yards of netting total adds a few ounces making the whole set up 4.5 lbs with the carbon fiber pole for 4 scouts. It carries as 2 lb floor and 2 lb tarp and 9 ounce pole. Any wisdom you have would be appreciated! Josh

David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

I used fine no-see-m netting about 18" wide (I'll have to measure) and sewed it directly to the tent. I did roll over the top and bottom and put a draw cord on the bottom of the tent. The area for the door, I extended a strip a foot or so longer to give me some overlap. I don't think velcro would be a good idea, as it is heavy, and it will pick up burs and all kinds of stuff next to the ground. Just sew the screen to the tent. With the netting, the SL3 weighs 853 grams, or 1.3 lbs. Sleeps 3 with the pole at an angle.

You can get the netting at Simply Light by the yard.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

+1 to quilt (save that pound!)

Given all the dust, I'd probably stick with the DR as well.

Personally, I'm gong with a Rainshadow 2 & a 50d Enigma (with a Luke's UL vest/sleeve combo to supplement when needed). I'll have another advisor in my tent so the RS 2 should be a good fit for us. Well find out in July!

David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

Josh,

We are going to do trek 24 (http://philmontscoutranch.org/filestore/philmont/camping/2014itinerary/2014itin_24.jpg) 82 miles plus about 6 for the side hike to Tooth.

Our Crew is trying to go light:
    We have crew of 13 – 15 year olds. So far we have 3 tarp tent double rainbows, 1 Tarptent Rain Shadow, 1 GoLite SL3. Backpacks: 7 out of 10 will have frameless packs, and I think we will have all of the scouts under 16 lbs for their base weight. My son's base pack pack weight is 12 lbs. including his half of the SL3. I'll see how we do this weekend on the next shake down.

I've worked our shared trek gear down quite a bit too.

We have a second trek for our older scouts going in July on trek 33. http://philmontscoutranch.org/filestore/philmont/camping/2014itinerary/2014itin_33.jpg

John Rorke
    Spectator

@joshetal

Hey David,

Trek 24 looks terrific. It sounds like your crew is passing on the Chuckwagon to side hike tooth. Our crew would likely choose the same. We have 31, and will be camping at several of the same camps as you are. So with 3 days food and water, will everyone be around 30 lbs? Fantastic achievement, especially with sensible scout budget limitations. I really like your tent plans too. Are you using Philmont bear ropes? For us, this is the single heaviest crew gear item as we may need 3 for a LNT camp in the Valle. (they'd still be heaviest item with just 2) More than 5 lbs when they are dry. Yikes. Josh

David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

I had made up two custom rope bags by Simply Light with a little heavier Amsteel Rope. They are really slick. They weight (If I remember correctly) about 14 oz each with 150 ft of rope, bags with 2 mini carabiner and one larger one. I will post a separate thread on these bad boys. We are brining 2 expecting only to be able to bring the opps line.

David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

Mine and my son's total weight for 3 days with food, water, shared trek and base weight is 24 lbs and 22 lbs respectively. I can send you the complete Excel sheet with shared gear etc… tracked down to the gram.

John Galt

@towjumper

Locale: Southeastern US

I would love to see your setup. We are going on trek 23 as a crew of 10 in June.

We have our own tarp, and cooking gear. The last piece of the puzzle was the bear bag setup.

Miguel

David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

David Barnes I sent you my gear list on Excel.

David

Mark Neville

@markneville

David can you send me your gear list too?

Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools