Topic

100 Mile Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 100 Mile Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

100 Mile Wilderness

Robert Ellinwood

@rellinwood

Matt has written a fine article and the fact that I regularly read his "Equipped" postings for AMC show that I'm a fan. But on a humorous note, let me add my 100-mile wilderness story.

Matt says: "Several major unpaved roads intersect the AT in the 100-Mile Wilderness and can provide alternate access points." To which I add, "and beer."

In 1983, my partner was 20 minutes ahead of me and came to one of those clearings
    where a road crossed. As he approached the road, a car drove by, screeched to a
    halt, and the driver asked if he'd like a cold beer. "Sure," said Roger Suttles
    (with his dog,Tiny), "but I have a friend coming right along. You got two?"
    No problem! When I came along, Roger was grinning from ear to ear and said,
    "Check the creek for a little surprise I have for you!" Well, after enjoying
    that little surprise on that hot day, I wondered what to do with the heavy empties,
    lamenting having to carry out 2 glass bottles for several days. Sure enough,
    along came ANOTHER car and I talked the driver into taking out our empties.
    So, I gotta ask ya…What kind of "wilderness" is it where you can enter a
    clearing, get handed 2 cold ones from one car, and before you can leave,
    minutes later, have another car take out your empties????!!!!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Nice writeup for planning a hike. I did this a couple of years ago with my son and really enjoyed it. A night at Antlers campsite is well worth it. Its a beautiful lakeside setting with all the huckleberries for a lifetime of breakfasts.

Antlers

The mountaintop and lake visits were really spectacular.

lake

Its definitely worth doing the section of Baxter up to Katahdin as well.

In Monson, the Lakeside hostel is pretty nice too.

Thomas Jamrog

@balrog

Locale: New England

This is super article. I'm tired of reading "reports" in Backpacker magazine than have details wrong, leading one to believe that the story is research-based and not reflective of one's actual experience. This is right on. Thanks!
    I plan to thru-hike the Hundred this Sept. for my third time. I've also been in there before doing sections. I loved taking a float plane from Millinocket with Katahdin Air when I was dropped off at Crawford Pond just south of Cooper Brook Lean-To. Cost me ~$135, but I could have had a partner and split the cost in half.
    You gotta love the Hundred. How slow to go equals how heavy a load you carry is a metaphor of life itself.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

this seems mostly like a re-print from a guide to me. I have guides.

If you are going to write articles about trails, how about including many nice high rez, large pictures please. ala Trailgroove, they are doing it right. Might have to actually hike it and take some, but so what.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Water in the 100 Mile Wilderness is no problem.
    Wood for fuel is no problem. My UL Caldera Cone ti Sidewinder stove W/Inferno wood burner insert will do fine.

FOOD is the main problem. What do folks take for 8 to 10 days?
    I can carry 8 days but like to have at least one day backup.

NOTE: Seems this would be a perfect place to rent a PLRB before entering.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I'm hoping to one day do this in conjunction with the northern most 300mi of the AT.. starting at my "highpoint" in NH and finishing at Katadin. I really want to do Mahoosuc notch.

this is one of those spots where having the ability to do bigger miles helps with logistics. Pack less, hike more, carry less.. etc. Not to say you can't spread it out and carry more food, depends what you want to do. they warn people to take 10 days worth… that is a lot.

saved the article to read more in depth. especially to check out his tips for getting back south.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"this seems mostly like a re-print from a guide to me. I have guides."

That's because…

"This story is excerpted from the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Best Backpacking in New England, and has been published with the permission of the Appalachian Mountain Club"

Sigh.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

A better question might be:

"Why does BPL think that re-printing lengthy guidebook descriptions is a substitute for offering real content?"

The only thing people need for the 100mile wilderness, is a couple of profile pages from Awols guide, and a map (just in case) that they will likely never look at.

Many thruhikers hit it with 4-5 days food. Used to be able to resupply at Whitehouse Landing (1mile off trail) but they are now closed.

There are several outfitters that will bring you a food drop on one of the roads, or pick you up to bail you out. Shaws will do this too. A float plane service will as well. You can generally get cell service from peaks to get in touch with them.

Half of the 100 mile wilderness is flat. The second half can make good mpd on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools