Topic

Titanium Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Titanium Fold Down Coffee Drip from Snow Peak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

Have any of you seen this or had any experience with it? I've gotten pretty obsessed lately with trying to make good coffee in the backcountry. So far it's usually a french press or an aeropress (not a fan of the taste though) but a lightweight collapse-able drip coffee stand?!? Pretty interesting!

http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/coffee/fold-down-coffee-drip-cs-113.html

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Coffee

This looks much easier to pack than an AeroPress, but you do need to deal with a larger soggy filter. And although you can manage temperature, getting a well timed consistent soak is harder.

drifting….

Warning: I'm an aeropress fan (inverted). If you are getting bad coffee out of one, you need to change the temperature and/or the brew time. IMHO you have enough control to produce Great coffee every time.

….end drift

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I use this one:

http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/ultralight_java_drip/coffee

It's only 0.4 OZ and works very well. You don't need a paper filter with it, but I use one to make cleanup easier. And it makes excellent coffee that way.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I second the gsi suggestion. Its a simple, light & surprisingly durable design. Coffee tastes good & its also quite easy to clean. you can also basically use it for a French press style brew by making cowboy coffee and filtering out the grinds as you pour it into your mug. But then, I guess that would probably just be called cowboy coffee.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Java Drip –

JavaDrip

This Thread covers the same grounds.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

I'm using a bit of titanium foil rolled up into a cylinder and anchored with a couple of paper clips, plus a repurposed computer fan cover to hold it over my pot. 39 grams including a filter cone, and rolls nicely inside of the Caldera Cone stove.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

BTW, 0.4 oz is 12 grams. Very hard to beat. And it works extremely well. :^)

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I use this GSI:

http://www.rei.com/product/798277/gsi-outdoors-collapsible-javadrip-slim-drip-coffee-maker#specsTab

I pregrind and pre-measure the beans at home, folding up one brew into one filter to put into the GSI. I make the coffee directly into a 16 ounce thermos bottle.

The GSI silicone plastic cone is 4.8 ounces — lighter than that titanium thing, and folds up into its own self contained flat disc. Nice little product.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

JavaDripCollapsible

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Here is another option… I started using this a couple months ago and have fallen in love with this.

Get one of these GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker and cut off most (but not all) of the stupid little leg/stands.

coffee 001

coffee 002

coffee 003

coffee 004

coffee 005

coffee 006

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

D'oh!! There was only one comment when I hit the reply button to start posting my photos… sorry for the duplicate posts on the GSI filter.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Reading this now has me making a cup. Noseeum netting makes a good filter also.

As far as that Snow Peak cone. No, too heavy and bulky and pricey. Could always go with a number 2 plastic cone too.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

"Get one of these GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker and cut off most (but not all) of the stupid little leg/stands."

I like those legs! Shapely… Seriously, they work well for me. I take a few extra oz so I can have a real coffee cup. It works great on those. :^)

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
    Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

.14 oz and works well. This was about the lightest I could find vs. using a paper filter. They have a larger version too, but this one easily brews 12 – 14 oz of coffee at a time, at least with the amount of grounds I use.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=1203&p_id=1124510

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^^^

CoffeeMontbell

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Noseeum netting makes a good filter also."

Does it have any problem with the hot water? If not lots of DIY project there.

I think there is a crucial division between people who like it I'm gonna say "American" style – filtered within an inch of its life (my dad) and people who like it I'm gonna say "European" (or chunky) style, with more of the oils and fine particulates (that would be me). Seems like the chunky style it slightly winning here so far based on the entirely unscientific and limited sample.

Last summer I had my own personal back country coffee fit, spent some money, acquired a camera backpack full of coffee paraphernalia, and ended up coming back to where I started (tentatively) with 3 in 1 instant mixes. For me using pre-ground coffee set the taste back so much, I decided, that it wasn't worth it. So coffee snob ironically ends up using the crappiest tasting solution.

In the process I did come up with a great car camping kit that is light enough for heavyweight backpacking – total weight I think was about 14 oz. Aero press w/ a tiny Japanese hand operated burr grinder that all nests nicely. Weighs a bit more with the addition of the … ahem… embarrassing battery-powered milk frother. The result are a really great intimation of espresso out of a regular machine. I just have yet to be convinced there is a middle ground (no pun intended) between the "insane coffee snob kit" and Thai 3-in-1 instant for backpacking.

But I still read all the coffee posts! No coffee nirvana yet for me.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I like drip coffee, with fine home-ground coffee, water temp slightly below boiling, cone and paper filter. I make coffee manually at home (no coffee maker) and do the same on the trail.

I think the MSR "Mugmate" is the easiest to use but PITA to pack. I clipped off one of the tabs and threw away the lid. Can't remember the final weight off-hand but it's close to that half-ounce mark:
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Cookware/Cookware-Accessories/MugMate-Coffee/Tea-Filter/product

For when pack space in an issue, I made a silnylon "cone" with a wire rim. I use a paper cone. Single digit grams.

I have that red GSI silicon collapsible filter pictured above for car-camping. I think it's way too heavy for backpacking; it would outweigh my mug and the coffee.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I tried a handful of options – none of the filter stuff but VIA, mugmate, etc…

Just got a Snow Peak Ti French Press – with coarse ground coffee it works great (seller had even made a sweet reflectix cozy). Not the lightest or the smallest but for darn sure the best coffee I've had backpacking… this may just be my "luxury" item.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I agree, there is nothing better than a French press for taste. I have the GSI one and it does a great job at home (when I feel like it) and when car camping with my kids. But for the weight, I take the Montbell filter or admittedly more recently just a bunch of Via packets for speed and simplicity.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"Does it (Noseeum) have any problem with the hot water?"

Nope. I made a "sock" for a 2 liter Platy cowboy coffee setup. Add the coffee to the sock, put it in the Platy, add hot water, seal, wait. Works fine. And it makes cleanup very easy.

["a tiny Japanese hand operated burr grinder …" —- Kyocera?]

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools