Topic

TOILET PAPER

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TOILET PAPER

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Yup, I checked that reference, too…

Well, I guess we now know where the expression "cleanliness is next to godliness" comes from…

And good point RogerDodger — all too often people choose to value one culture over another for no particular reason. Seems to me that, in ancient times, the Asian cultures were often miles ahead of others in terms of medicine.

TKB 1979

@arizona1979

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST

"And the East German judge scores rocks 5/5 for softness".

That's hilarious.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"And thou shalt have a place outside of the camp, and thou shalt go out thither, and thou shalt have a trowel on thy girdle; and it shall come to pass when thou wouldest relieve thyself abroad, that thou shalt dig with it, and shalt bring back the earth and cover thy nuisance.

Deuteronomy 23:12ā€“13"

ROTFL. I stand corrected. ;0)

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

India also suffers from a huge hygiene and sanitation crisis. Go figure.

As far as the paper towel idea goes, I prefer Bounty brand, who also makes soft napkins, pre-folded to fit perfectly into a freezer bag. Quite convenient and an excellent quicker picker upper.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Ian: "I'll be damned…"

Not if you bring your deuce of spades!

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

+1 on the Bounty, cut into 1/4 sheets. I also use the dried wet wipes, reconstituted at the scene. I always pack it out, zip locked then placed in a plastic grocery bag that serves as my general trash container.

Most restaurant and campsite outhouse toilet paper is what we call "John Wayne Toilet Paper". Its rough, it's tough, and doesn't take crap from anyone.

Its been my experience (more often than not) that "when ya gotta go, ya gotta go". I really don't want to spend 5 minutes or more looking around for suitable wiping material, nor do I care to use my bare hands unless I have to due to the need for adequate cleaning and sanitizing of the hand afterward in a place where its not always easy to do so and IMO requires a second person to truly clean the hands in an aseptic fashion. That being said, its good to keep in mind alternative methods, including the bare hand, should you find yourself in a paperless situation.

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

Now I finally understand the BPL obssession with the Swiss Army Knife Classic. The scissors, the nail file, the way everybody in knife/scissor threads mentions using it to trim nails… …it's not about emergency survival at all, is it? You're using it to keep your nails in perfect trim for barehanded, well, you know.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

All things considered I'll continue to pack TP.

About 3/4 of a three ply roll, MINUS the cardboard inner tube, is enough for 7 to 8 days with judicious use.

TP is a consumable, like food. I can (just) carry enough food for 8 days and easily carry enough TP for 8 days. Problem solved.

Oh, yeah, I DO carry 4 oz. of hand sanitizer for "the final wipe" and my hands after.
    2 oz. for 3 day trips.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"And thou shalt have a place outside of the camp, and thou shalt go out thither, and thou shalt have a trowel on thy girdle; and it shall come to pass when thou wouldest relieve thyself abroad, that thou shalt dig with it, and shalt bring back the earth and cover thy nuisance.

Deuteronomy 23:12ā€“13"

In hind sight I am left to wonder, oh rabbi, having brought back the earth and covered thy nuisance, how doth thee clean thy self, that thee not be found unclean, an abomination in the eyes of The Lord and thy brethren, when thou returneth to camp?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> how doth thee clean thy self,

It's called soap and water.

Cheers

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

HAHAHA….. you said HIND sight!!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"HAHAHA….. you said HIND sight!!!!!"

And this year's winner of The Golden Roll Award is…….

Anonymous
    Inactive

"It's called soap and water."

That sure would take a lot of soap and water. ;0)

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Or a pressure washer in my case.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Or is it a pressure washer on my case?

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

Like many other people who eschew corporate America, I walk into a McDonald'sĀ© on the way to the trailhead, and pick up 7-8 napkins with the logo on them. :-)

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools