Topic

Exos 58 + Mora

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exos 58 + Mora

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Maybe I'm easily amused, but I was tickled when loading up my new Exos 58 and discovering that my standard-issue Mora knife sheath snaps perfectly into the harness! With the main part of the sheath in the "energy-gel" pocket, the belt loop pops up into the hollow harness — solid!

Mora in Exos 58

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

I think you are just easily amused.
    I don't see how this setup locks the belt snap in place to allow for quick and easy draw of the knife.
    If you try to quickly draw one-handed, you would likely pull the entire sheath out instead of the knife….

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Peter,

That's more than a good pack you have there. It's a great pack – IMHO.

And the fact that your sheathed knife happened to nicely fit the packstrap "pocket" is icing on the cake. Just put a few turns of a rubber bands around the sheath before inserting it into the pocket to keep it from pulling loose from when you (carefully) draw the knife.

Now about that Osprey left side setup of loops for carrying your hiking poles… Got a short machete? Bet it'll fit there. ;o)

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Nice! Someone at Osprey must be really thinking to put Mora pockets on the pack! ;-)

Are you able to remove it from the sheath easily and safely? I have a Mora #1 which I usually carry in the pack (GG Gorilla), and then on a neck lanyard around camp when in use.

I'm interested in hearing about what your other thoughts on the pack are too. One thing I'm debating about is the value of the vented mesh back panel versus just leaving the shoulder straps on a regular pack loose for ventilation.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Yeah, I have found a similar setup with my Exos 58 and Gerber Dime multi tool. It rests quite nicely in the elastic hydration tube strap. I also have it attached so it doesn't accidently fall out.
    Stays right there

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Ivo, the belt loop portion of the sheath is made of fairly rigid plastic and extends perhaps 1.5" into the hollow center of the harness. If you pull up quickly on the knife, the sheath catches immediately on the harness and the knife pops out — no problem! Since this knife has no finger guard, I shouldn't benefit from a quick draw unless I'm startled on the trail by a block of cheese!

Eric, I'm glad to hear your recommendation of the pack! I took it out with some other BPLers on an easygoing weekend hike last weekend. I was very pleased. My first two packs were a Golite Jam and Pinnacle, and while I loved the simplicity, in my heart of hearts I envied a frame. This pack does a great job of sticking it to my hips. Alas, I have no small machete, and while I do have trekking poles, I have no idea how to use that thingamajig.

Andy, the back ventilation works WELL. There was a prevalent chilly wind last weekend, and it sucked the heat off my back the whole time! It'll be nice in the warmer temps I normally hike in…

Gordon, nice setup! I forgot to mention that the band that secures your knife is also in the perfect position to pop over the base of my knife's handle for extra security. Strangely fortuitous!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

"Alas, I have no small machete, and while I do have trekking poles, I have no idea how to use that thingamajig."

shorten poles at least one section, tips into the hip loop, handles into the shoulder loop. tighten.

i don't use baskets or wrist straps so it makes it work even better ;)

Eric you get your Exos yet?

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Cool stuff, guys.
    I usually hike where there's lots of available water, and have taken to carrying less and drinking on the go with my Sawyer Mini. I take lots of pics with a P&S camera, too(hence the little Joby Gorillapod).

It's an Exos 38, not 58, but:
    exospockets

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Hey Owen – I thought you had a pic of MY setup. I have the same lil tripod and stored in the same spot! Check it:

https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1399732140_104839.jpg

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

It really is a great place for it!
    My Gorillapod was always sticking out, yet getting hung up in, a hipbelt pocket, or stuffed somewhere else that was a pain to get to.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Jake,

Unfortunately I have to buy a Moment DW to replace my Moment SW that I sold recently. Perhaps later in the summer I can fit the EXOS 58 into my budget.

(Ya see, there's this new Toyota Prius V that's sucking up all my available cash for things like wider wheels and tires, suspension parts and a cold air intake. I know, I know, you think it's like lipstick on a pig. But I just want it to handle better and go fast enough to at least pull the skin off a pail of milk.)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You'll still sit in traffic with everyone else Eric.

Priorities.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

ha.. shoulda got a diesel TDI or something with some zip AND better fuel economy. :D

my backpack gear is pretty much at homeostasis so i have to acquire things vicariously though others :) ie. i'd *like* a Mora cuz they are fun but I barely use the Opinel i have so i don't need MORE knife.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools