Topic

Henry Coe flowers at their peak about NOW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Henry Coe flowers at their peak about NOW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

A friend and I did a quick two night backpack at Coe from 4/27-29 and the creeks had water and every road and trail we went on had gorgeous flowers. We're in our 70's so didn't go too far but really enjoyed our trip. Saw only 7 people once we left the HQ.
    Went to Poverty Flat for lunch, on to Los Cruceros to camp, dayhiked the next morning on the Willow Ridge Trail/Narrows Trail along the East Fork of Coyote Creek-hillsides of flowers. Back to Los C. to pack up, hiked through The Narrows(water sometimes up past my knees-I'm short) and sometimes we hiked on sections of a "trail", on to China Hole for a quick splash/swim and then up the China Hole Trail to Manzanita Point where we camped for the second night. Out the next morning to HQ and car by way of Manz. Pt. Road and Forest Trail-nice and cool there and also nice wildflowers.

If you are near Coe the time is right for a backpack: water, flowers and not yet too hot. No pictures, my friend took them this trip.

Jane

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for bringing this up Jane. This has been one of the best years for California poppies and other wildflowers. Best time to go,to Coe! Ok maybe not yesterday and today….had to almost hit 100 over there :)

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Yes, Kat, just when I mentioned that on our Coe trip it wasn't too hot, the temps. have gone waaaaaay up for the last two days. But cooler weather is expected so hope some get to Coe before it gets too hot and stays hot.

My hiking group is heading for Pt. Reyes tomorrow and we should find it cooler there than in the East Bay.

Jane

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hi Jane.

Nice to hear the flowers are out. We've been seeing a lot of them up here in the North Bay too. I thought it might not be such a great year for wildflowers, but so far I seem to have been wrong about that! The cool weather this week will help them stick around a little longer, maybe I'll get a chance to get over to Coe and go for a walk.

Another interesting Nor Cal wildflower spot is Table Mountain, up in Butte County. If you have the opportunity, you might want to have a look… it's a very odd and interesting landscape, and you can wander around off the "trails" which, for the most part, are sort of loosely defined.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Jacob,
    Yes, I go to Table Mtn. about every other year for flowers, waterfalls and hiking.
    Usually go in April or early May. Do you know of the 9.8 miles RT hike to Feather Falls which is also near Oroville? Its flow drops 640 feet and is spectacular with a great viewing platform at the turn around point with flowers along either of the loop trail possibilities. Now, what river does Feather Falls fall on??? Nope-Feather Falls falls on the Fall River, not on the Feather River as the name suggests. A nice trail to combine with Table Mtn. outing before it gets too hot up there.

Out to Arch Rock last Friday was a good dayhike with no fog at the ocean. Plenty of backpackers coming to spend the night at Pt. Reyes as we returned to Bear Valley.

Glad you had a great time at Zion.
    Jane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools