Topic

Packing JUST a giant bag of granola (with nuts, raisins, etc)…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Packing JUST a giant bag of granola (with nuts, raisins, etc)…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I love the simplicity of the idea but if I ate nothing but the same bag of granola for 3-5 days I'd go insane or start hunting marmots or mugging other hikers.

I'd be interested to hear how it went if you end up doing this!

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Mountain Community Mental Health Hospital.

Clinical Note:

The subject appears to be an undernourished male in his 30's recently brought in by local law enforcement after an altercation in a rural food mart.

He is not alert/oriented x3 as he is not sure which day it is or how he got here.
    Disheveled in appearance and presents with minor abrasions to the face, neck and extremities. His intake clothing and some bits of equipment indicate a recent outdoor activity.

Pt had to be restrained upon arrival and intake when he attempted to take by force a sandwhich from a passing staff member, loudly yelling something about "fresh, fresh, protein" or something similar.

He was given 1.0mg Ativan po and sedated after which he calmed down, continously mumbling "too dry, too dry, too dry". I am not currently sure if there is any significance to this statement.

Plan:

Allow pt to eat as much as he wants during meal times and keep any manner of dried foods such as nuts and cereals away from him as this seems to elicit a violent reaction in the pt, possibly causing further harm to himself or staff.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Hahahahahaha! Nice, Alexander! :^D

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I hiked 2654 miles while consuming 80 lbs of Maltodextrin and eating copious amounts of PNB everyday for lunch. I also had tens of thousands of other calories and quite the variety of breakfast and dinner food, 17 different dinners. But I never got sick of my Malto mix, in spite of what many people said. Didn't get sick of PNB either. Three years later I am now finishing up my third 50lb. Bag of Malto. Still take it it every trip. Bottom line, try it, if it works for you then go for it.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

"Besides, granola isn't particularly calorie-dense. I have a dark chocolate almond variety that about as high in calories as I've found (haven't looked too hard)–it's 116 Cal/oz. I usually try to get my food to average 125 Cal/oz or a bit more."

But granola coated with a tad of canola oil, is quite the calorie dense food at 140 cal/o, ala BearNaked granola. Stays crunchy in milk too.

Personally, I dont get tired of peanutbutter, tortillas, peanut MMs, or walmart mountain trailmix, and any kind of chocolate, snickers, or twix.

I will however, never ever take another Ramen noodle or pop tart on a trail. Ever. Nor will I voluntarily eat them at home.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hiking Malto,

I've read through some of your older threads on the topic including this one:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72290

I've used perpetuem but I'm thinking about making my own mix. Care to share your recipe du jour? Also, do you mix up a bottle of concentrated mix and just sip off of it through your hike while carrying a separate bottle of plain water or just a single bottle of your malto-drink?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools