Topic

PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 126 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

And he'll ruin fishing for the rest of us fly-fishers

Oh Mags … you too? I expected better …. there is a long, well established and perfectly good gender neutral word for one who pursues fish, no need to invent or perpetuate a new one.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Speak English Jim…I have no idea what the heck you are talking about. :) I think you are vaguely implying that I am being Politically Correct and/or using incorrect terminology. But, I truly have no idea what you are talking about.

To both of you, I don't fish. It was just an example of how popular literature uses the outdoors as a backdrop for another message.

As for fly-fishing (or whatever vague, correct and appropriate term I should use. Jim, help a dumb dago out here?), I would argue the MOVIE "A River Runs Through It" is what made the "vague, correct and appropriate terms for fishing I am apparently mis-using" popular vs the novella that was a modest cult favorite.

And that book/movie about a "vague, correct and appropriate terms for fishing I am apparently mis-using" also uses nature as backdrop.

Neither "A River runs through it" nor "Big Two-Hearted River" is about fishing (see above. Mea culpa) nor is Wild about hiking.

And all three are arguably popular because they are NOT about the outdoor activity they portray as a backdrop to the main story.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

The use of flashbacks to tell the back-story just didn't work.
    If you didn't read the book, you have no idea what the hell is going on.
    Why did the brother shoot the horse in the movie? Clueless.
    Where did Crazy Joe come from? No clue.
    At least three flash backs of the her buying peroxide when she was a kid.
    Mom takes kids to another house where there is another guy. Who is that guy? And then you never see him again.

I don't mind a little flash back, but these flash backs are literally a flash, under one second.

The graphic sex scenes were fatiguing and did not contribute to the plot or the story other than to get guys to go to movie.

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

;)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I like your perspective on this Paul.

Earl Gilbert
    Spectator

@egilbe

I'm almost finished reading the book. Is it weird that I enjoyed the hiking story better than the personal drama? The backstory was pertinent to her reason for hiking the PCT, but it dwelled way too much on the death of her mother and the trauma her upbringing cause her. Get that out of the way in the beginning and never talk about it again. I enjoyed reading about the people she met on the trail, her trials and toughening up and accomplishing her goal and the compromises she had to make. I suffered through the flashbacks. I really didn't care, but I lack empathy.

Viewing 6 posts - 126 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools