Topic

WM Summerlite or WM Sycamore MF

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WM Summerlite or WM Sycamore MF

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

I ordered a Long Western Mountaineering Summerlite online but they sent me a regular Sycamore MF instead, I'm not sure how but the company will replace it and pay for shipping in the States but I'm in OZ.

The bag fits me, just, but it's more weight by another 350 grams. I'm thinking, It would be good for winter and Tarp use because it's got greater weather protection.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=21

What are your thoughts guys, is a keeper or do I send it back and replace it with the Summerlite.

If I kept the Sycamore, then I would get a 40 or 50 degree Quilt.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

They are very different bags in terms of cut, fabric and weight. I currently use the sycamore and like it very much but if I was solely focused on grams the summerlite would win out. I use my syc like a bivy with my pad inside. moisture resistant, drafts are easy to control and it is much easier for me to stay on a smaller pad this way.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

If you ordered one and they sent you another, I am sure that they would be happy to take care of it. Have you contacted them about it? And did you buy it direct from WM, or from another online store?

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

#Stick

I spoke to the company and they were happy for it to be a return but the cost of freight is about $40 each way. If I had the Summerlite now, it would be a cheap bag but by the time the bags go back and fourth, it's going to cost me $120 extra.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

That just doesn't seem right! It would be one thing if you had actually ordered the Sycamore and just didn't like it, but they sent the WRONG bag. They should cover all shipping costs due to their error.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

You should get what you ordered, period.

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

#kwersal,

I'm assuming they've mixed my order up with someone else's, no doubt I've got someone's Sycamore and they've got my Summerlite. It seems strange that they've got the length and bag type wrong, normally it would be just one thing.

Initially I sent an email without a reply, so I emailed them again and the response was, we will only pay shipping fee's within America, no doubt because it's gone through a shipping agent.

Not long after the first guy sent me an email, another guy got back to me wanting some more details so I'll respond to him when I get home from work in three hours time.

It should be as simple as you say but I don't think it's going to be in my favour, time will tell.

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

#rickadams100,

Thanks for your viewpoint on the Sycamore, I can use the bag but ideally, I wanted the Summerlite, I'll jump in the bag tonight to see how well it fits and have a good think about it.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

"I'm assuming they've mixed my order up with someone else's, no doubt I've got someone's Sycamore and they've got my Summerlite. It seems strange that they've got the length and bag type wrong, normally it would be just one thing.

Initially I sent an email without a reply, so I emailed them again and the response was, we will only pay shipping fee's within America, no doubt because it's gone through a shipping agent.

Not long after the first guy sent me an email, another guy got back to me wanting some more details so I'll respond to him when I get home from work in three hours time.

It should be as simple as you say but I don't think it's going to be in my favour, time will tell."

I wish you would post what company you ordered from… In my view it's completely unacceptable that the wrong bag was sent and all the freight is not being paid by this company. I'd be happy to contact them and point them to this thread as well. I would not "settle" for something I didn't order… in the long-term you'll most likely regret it. If you have to talk yourself into accepting the bag, there's a problem.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

the summerlite is a much narrower cut than the sycamore, it's a big roomy bag with all the pros and cons of that characteristic.

i'm sure you thought out your purchase and unless it was a toss up you should expect the vendor to correct their mistake at no cost to you (assuming you ordered the right one to begin with). any reputable vendor will make this right. and, you can usually get some satisfaction thru visa or paypal if the vendor fails to provide you with what you paid for.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools