Topic

Pack Raincover Plans.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pack Raincover Plans.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Looking to sew up a pack rain cover this weekend out of some new Argon Sil. Does anyone have any plans for a 3000 cu. in. or less, very basic rain cover?
    Thanks!

Matt

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

The obvious question is, why a pack cover (rather than pack liner)?

Anyway, I just gave away the pack cover I had (hadn't used it in years). But as I recall, it was nothing but a big squarish oval of wp fabric, hemmed around the edge for a drawcord and cord lock. I suppose you'd measure the horizontal and vertical distances that you wanted covered on your loaded pack to get the dimensions of the oval.

Maybe this helps?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

David's suggestions sound just right — you'll just want to add some type of attachment system/strap near the backpack straps (so that the cover can't fall off as you walk along the trail, oblivious).

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

pack cover plan

Fill your pack to full, including stuff you attach to the outside (hardly what I think of in a BP Light forum). D= depth of your loaded pack. W= width of your loaded pack. H= height of your loaded pack. Measure from one back side edge around the front, and to the other back side edge, which will be D + W + D. Then measure H, the length of the pack from the bottom front up and back to the top back edge D. Your piece of fabric will measure D + W + D wide by H + D high. Add 1-2" for measurement errors/planning mistakes (my bad) and for a sleeve for a shock cord to secure the whole show. Cut out the top corners as shown (or just fold diagonally and stitch, if you've made corners before)

To make the corners, fold diagonally at each corner so the dotted lines at each corner match and the top edge meets with the side edge. I leave the bottom open so that water can drip off straight down in hope of thwarting a path to the back of my legs. I added 4" to the length to ensure coverage for days when I have a more loaded pack.

To close off the bottom, you'll need to extend the overall length of the cut piece by the depth. Then stitch as for the top corners.

Make a sleeve for the shock cord by folding over 3/4 inch and stitch, starting H inches from a top corner and proceeding up over the top and down H inches. You can leave a 3/4" gap anywhere along the sleeve to let out a bit of shock cord to run through a cordlock for adjustment. You'll need enough shock cord to go through the sleeve and across the bottom of the pack = H + W + H + W. Using a safety pin tied to one end of the shock cord, pass it through the sleeve and cordlock it where you determined earlier. Add cord loops to the pack and corresponding buttons of matching size to the cover to keep a stiff wind from blowing the cover off.

My answer to the question, why a pack cover (rather than pack liner)?
    I haven't made the leap to thinking, "A few things outside the pack got wet. No problem." And I do like having a dry pack in my shelter once I'm out of the falling wetness.

Disclaimer: I'm mostly a fair weather camper. I've used my cover to great effect only once.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> you'll just want to add some type of attachment system/strap near the backpack straps
    > (so that the cover can't fall off as you walk along the trail, oblivious).
    Or blow far far away in a storm! Had that happen just once, a long time ago.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools