Topic

Opening day in the Sierra Nevada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Opening day in the Sierra Nevada

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Locale: Sierra Nevadas

The trout fishing opener is upon us. The weather forecast is going to be great. Plenty of cold temps and fresh snow at high elevations. Fishermen are a hearty breed and the weather won't affect most of them. I know I'm starting to get all pumped up. where to go fishing? That's a good question. With a low snow pack a lot of high elevation lakes are ice free. Time to get out the gear and catch some fish that haven't seen a lure in 6 months. First light on Saturday I know where I will be. Saying FISH ON! at an undisclosed location. Practicing catch and release on big spawning rainbows is a good idea. Horse um in quick snap a pic and thank um for the good time. The fish says " please crimp your barbs". I do like to eat trout but let the spawning fish reproduce. Brook trout are my favorite and I think they are very tasty. A brook trout is actually not a trout but a char. Some day I will eat an arctic char and see how they taste compared to brook char. should be a great opener. Get out and fish! GOD BLESS

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Locale: Sierra Nevadas

About 2" of fresh. Melted off by 10:30Snowwhat a day!Fishnice hole!Fishfishing was tough. Got a nice one later on in the day.FishYou don't have to catch fish to have a good time. The fish just make a good time even better.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

nicely done darren. the other meaning of PM…Panther Martin ;)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools