Topic

Good Lid Designs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Good Lid Designs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Joel Stephenson

@fooby

Locale: Northumberland, UK

Does anybody know of a good design for a foil lid or similar to fit over a bowl while cooking on a gas stove? I've just been using lots of layers of foil, cut to the right shape, but it rarely lasts a trip without having to be replaced. Not the end of the world, but surely somebody has a genius alternative?

Thank you!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Get a oven liner from the dollar store, cut it an inch bigger all around or 2 inches bigger in diameter and fold it over the edge. Secure with a rubber band and it stays on great in pack

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Joel,

Cut the wall out of an aluminum can and use Intense Angler's instructions to make a lid. You can find him on Youtube. Light, free, fun, & cool.

Please show us what you've done!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

you mean like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62BtVoQYDlI

One thing good about that design, compared to my Evernew Ti pot lid, is stuff that falls on top of the lid will fall off and out. With my Ti lid, stuff can fall into the pot

Maybe you want water that condenses on the inside of the lid to fall into the pot, which the Ti maybe does better?

Maybe ideal would be the lid to be higher in the middle, lower next to the edge of the pot, a little higher going over the edge, and then lower so stuff that falls on top will just fall off.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Joel, if you are lucky enough to have a pot that has the right size, you can use a lid from a cheap microwaveable container like a ziplock. This will perform the number one function of holding in the heat. Surprisingly there are a large number of perfect fits! A lot of the "cup shape" pots are fit by the lids from the 1 cup ziplocks. Many of the wider pots are fit by one of the larger sized round ziplock lids. As long at you have boiling water in the pot there should be no issue as to the heat, and this is about as light and cheap as it gets. I have in the past superglued Al foil to the bottom of these lid, but turns out they don't really need the extra protection.

Good luck.

Joel Stephenson

@fooby

Thank you for the fast and helpful advice!

I think the oven liner might be the best bet, I tried the aluminium can but my pot is just slightly to big to crimp the edges over. I'll keep a look out for one of those plastic lids too. Ice cream pots maybe?

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

You'll be lucky…

Go and buy a nice pie. It will come with a foil pie tray.

mmmm… pie…

I'm guessing the YouTube video is similar to the method I used for can side wall:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/myog-lightweight-pan-lid/37159.html

Will a pint* can not be big enough?

* A 'proper pint', that is: 567ml…

Joel Stephenson

@fooby

The pint can might be just about perfect actually… I forgot we had those!

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Since you posted this in the MYOG forum, I can suggest that you make a 'proper' lid:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=74524

Joel Stephenson

@fooby

Nice work Stuart! If I tried to replicate that design, it would fall off all the time and be covered in sharp edges that would rip my puffy and sleeping bag, before tearing through the pack itself and rolling off the mountain… Probably best stick to old beer cans ;)

Jeffrey Tilghman
    Spectator

@jjtilghman

You could try the bottom of a large Gatorade or similar bulk canister. Might fit.

YouTube video

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Some popular pots with plastic microwavable lids:

tops

Bottom, Evernew 0.6L, top from ziploc 2 cup bowl container.

Top left Evernew 0.9L with Glad 4 cup container top.

Top right: snow peak 600 ml pot with top from 1 cup ziplock bowl container. This one also fit the Jetboil Sol Ti and is much lighter than the jetboil plastic top.

There are loads more combos as well, all lighter than the other options. In the UK you may have to investigate what is available there. Might want to avoid plastic from containers not specifically rated as "microwavable".

These are easy to mod in seconds, are inexpensive and you can make a lifter using aluminumized tape. I usually do that and cut of the existing handles to make the whole thing more cylindrical and easier to fit into a stuff sack. You can even use the original container, with shared lid as a re-hydration/eating bowl, if you like.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I don't have a success to report, but maybe can help you avoid some frustration. If you want a nicely bent lid that fits to the inside of your pot, aluminum flashing is very difficult to form. I have seen guys on BPL who have the patience and know-how to accomplish it, but aluminum flashing is very springy and tough, and really needs to be annealed before you can form it easily into a lid.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Delmar I agree. Stuarts workmanship on that lid is amazing. YMMV. A lot! I think he may be part Elf.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Agreed on the aluminum flashing. It's a PITA. My best attempt on a 12cm Imusa. About as small of a diameter as I can get to work marginally well. Any smaller and oven liner foil seems better.

Lid

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

In addition to oven liners, many groceries sell aluminum pie plates, roasting pans, and various other forms. Some of them have bends in the right places that add some stiffness which is nice. I made a crimped edge lid from a $2 pie plate for the Stanco grease pot that weighs 0.5 oz.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools