Topic

Show off your DIY tarp + bug net shelters!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Show off your DIY tarp + bug net shelters!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I'm just wondering what kind of solutions you DIY guys and gals have come up with for a lightweight tarp + separate bug net shelter. I'm most interested in projects where the shelter is built for two people and the bug net is fully enclosed with a bathtub floor, but of course I'd love to see your one person shelters too. I'm sure many of the same concepts apply to both.

Lot of pics would be much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in the connection between the tarp and bug net when they are used together. I'd love to see how you've designed it and hear what works and what doesn't.

Thanks!

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

I'd love to see some, too. I've tried just a headnet, but I can't sleep comfortably in it.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Not exactly what you were asking for, but here's my DIY Argon sil camo hex tarp and DIY gathered end hammock. During bug season, a headnet is all I use with it as an under quilt and top quilt are too hard to bite through. 12 ounces for the tarp, 7.5 ounces for the hammock, 2.5 lb. for an enLIGHTened Equipment top and bottom quilt set and less than .25 ounce for the bug headnet….total weight=4.3 pounds. Keep in mind this is the weight of my shelter AND sleep system. Not too bad for so much three season comfort, not to mention the huge protected space it provides.

t

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Fully enclosed hammock bug net

Matt and I are both hangers. ;-)

FWIW the material in this net is 100 percent polyester "sheers" from Walmart. I used two @$5.00 packages ofthe sheers to build my bug net. Much cheaper than no-see-um, off the shelf and no waiting on shipping. The mesh is finer, (smaller holes) than no-see-um also.

Tip: Use a new sharp and small size needle on your machine with this material.

Party On,

Newton ;-)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools