Topic

Emberlit Fire Ant Stove – lightest stove in the world?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Emberlit Fire Ant Stove – lightest stove in the world?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

I saw this thing while browsing Kickstarter>

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621478444/the-fireant-multi-fuel-backpacking-stove

It's a super utilitarian, lightweight, multi fuel stove.

http://www.emberlit.com/en/

Has this been posted before?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Somehow I missed it – thanks for posting!

His Emberlit stove has a big following. Very nice!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

At 2.8 oz it is the same weight as the 2012 QiWiz Fire Fly.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

Not quite the lightest, but close, and nice looking as well.

Cadyak has some Firemug stoves that are under 2.8 oz I believe, and there was a Mini Caldera Cone posted here that was under 2 oz. Too bad conditions don't allow for wood/alcohol/Esbit to be used in stoves in my local mountains right now (or the foreseeable future), I'd love to be using a multi-fuel stove like these.

Steve Chan
    Spectator

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

http://www.suluk46.com/products%20%20-%20P12%20CT%20Stove.html

It is a similar design from a few years ago. Just over 1 oz in weight.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

I have the original size in ti, and it's a solid piece of kit. But the smaller size would work well for my uses, plus the dual use potential as windscreen/pot stand for an alcohol stove, made me hop on the Kickstarter deal.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

As a "hobo stove" it's nice, especially if you're only burning wood.

As an efficient wood burner or ESBIT stove it falls short of others now available.

I'll stick with Trail Designs' ti Sidewinder and Tri Ti stoves for the MOST efficient 3 fuel stoves (ESBIT, alky and wood). The Inferno woodburning insert makes them extremely hot and efficient gassifier stoves.

As a "Kickstarter" project I'll put my money elswhere given the better wood burning stoves already on the market.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I enjoy both the Emberlit original and EL mini – Great for solo 3-season in this neck of the woods!

I got the Kickstarter notification from Mikhail, but for me the Fire Ant is a niche too far as I don't plan to get into the alcohol stove arena since wood stove bans are relatively rare in this region. (Although, ironically, today is a Fire Alert day because of high winds and low humidity.)

Additionally, the Fire Ant in alcohol mode seems to be designed exclusively for the Trangia stove. I have the TD 12-10 alcohol stove that came with the Ti Tri w/inferno insert, so if the alcohol option is desired the 12-10 stove – with some sort of stand under the base to adjust flame height – can be used with the EL mini.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I agree with Eric, Trail Designs ti Sidewinder and Tri Ti stoves is the way to go.

Going so small as in the case of the fire ant it's going to be a pain in the a$$ to keep a fire going. It's rediculous to think it's going to be as easy as the video shows making a large meal in the size of the frying pan shown. that's total deception. I shake my head in disgust.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Purposefully designing a relatively lightweight 2.8oz titanium woodburning stove to be paired with the relatively heavy trangia burner is a little baffling to me…

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass
    Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I agree with Dan; tiny woodstove=tiny fuel capacity=many refuels just to boil a litre of water=pain in the butt. I've experienced this with other stoves (commercial and MYOG).

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Adam, what I think you and Dan miss from the design is the ability to feed longer sticks in from the side, advancing them as the ends burn off. So while there is a bit of fiddling, it's not as bad as having to refill the firebox every 2 minutes. That said, I was a fan when Emberlit came out. Even bought a mini when they came out. But the Emberlit and mini got sold and I switched to a TD sidewinder. More stable. Better in a strong wind. Don't even really need the inferno insert.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools