Topic

UL case for rx100

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography UL case for rx100

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Anyone find or make their own case for the sony rx100?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

For my Nikon AW110 I am using a 5" x 9" 'poly Bubble Wrap' mailing envelope sold by Staples. To the outside of the bubble envelope I used packing tape to attach a heavy duty ziploc-type bag that holds a spare battery and a filter adapter with polarizer filter attached. Total weight is 12.5g Used thus far on 5 easy winter trips and 1 spring trip.
    ul camera case 01ul camera case 02

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Christopher, are you looking for waterproof, or bump protection (or both)?

I have not made one yet but I'll probably just sew up a foam sleeve for it and call it good. A few friends I know have done this for the NEX and it works pretty well for bump protection.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I'm actually having Chris from Zimmerbuilt make me a custom one. That guy is awesome. I'll post pics once it arrives.

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

Would be interested in seeing your custom UL case for the RX100.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I carry my camera and a few other things in a Zpacks multi-pack, hanging off my shoulder straps where it's easy to get at. I'v ejust taken an old, beat-up blue ccf pad (1/8"?); cut it; and taped it together to make a big box that pretty much fills the multi-pack, with a couple dividers taped in to hold the camera and a couple other things. zIt works well; lends shape and structure; and helps with organization. For rain protection, I use a gallon-size ziploc that folds down out of ht way easilty when I don't need it and folds up and seals easily when I do. I haven't weighed it, but it doesn't weigh much. Works for me; HYOH, YMMV, ETC…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"I'm actually having Chris from Zimmerbuilt make me a custom one. That guy is awesome. I'll post pics once it arrives."

Yes please do. Is he adding the padding or is that something you are going to do?

After having my DSLR swing dangerously close to rocks a couple times last week during a scramble, I'm looking for a better option for my new Sony.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Ian,

I love my capture camera. It is great during the day if you have good weather. Nothing is faster for access.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'll have to look at that as well. My original thought was some kind of pouch that would protect the camera from the sun/dust/sweat that I could mount low in the chest and cross-draw from in an instant to capture surprise wildlife encounters like this one.

.Deer

Sadly all the pictures for this encounter came out blurry and thus my motivation to move to a camera with a larger sensor.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Ian, what is the larger sensor going to do for you besides give you larger blur?

deer

For reference, I shot this around sunset on Wednesday, at the equivalent of 1200mm. The original was shot in RAW, converted to JPEG, and then reduced in resolution.

You can accomplish a lot with any camera if you have the right lens, you hold it perfectly still, and you have no crap on the front of the lens (fog, fingerprints, etc.).

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I'm not going to try and pass myself as some sort of photography expert. But any camera is going to have its pros and cons. A big lens on a body with interchangeable lens brings a weight penalty for the backpacker. But if your goal is wildlife photography, then that might be your best solution.

I have a R100 and it is fabulous for what I want it to do. One drawback is the lack of a view finder in addition to the LCD screen. With a view finder on a P&S it is easier to hold the camera steady. You can buy adapters for the RX100, but they are less than a perfect solution.

Here is a picture I took last year with the RX100. The RAW file was 20MB. After cropping and then lowering the pixel size to 800 X 600 (184 KB). I was pretty happy with the results. Keep in mind that I was at least 50 yards away from the subject. I focused with the display then steadied it against my forehead.

big horn

It is much better than what I once had as my only cameras, which meant they never went backpacking with me.

vintage cameras

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Bob,

Presumably for less noise and faster shutter speed at a higher ISO setting but this may be more of a result of the processor than the sensor so dunno… not my field of expertise. Having the ability to swap out the glass is certainly one of the benefits of the A6000 too.

My point was more along the lines that we never know when a photo op is going to present itself and in the case of the picture I posted, this was on a drizzly day on the Wonderland with my daughter. We found these two as we walked around a corner and only had a few moments to take the shot in less than ideal light and conditions. In that kind of weather, I wouldn't want the camera exposed to the elements so I've been pondering my options. As small as my D5000 is, the A6000 is less than half the size so my options have improved.

Nick,

Having a built in viewfinder was one of the things that really appealed to me about the A6000.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Ian, I think that your deer photo was affected by lens fog or air fog, but mostly a slow shutter.

My deer photo was shot with a camera/lens rig that weighs about 22 ounces. Compared to the heavy artillery that I sometimes carry, that seems light as a feather. The heavy artillery is closer to 22 pounds.

I've used cameras encased in all sorts of cases. What I find is that anything that requires a zipper to open is likely to be slow for surprise wildlife photography. So, on most of my cases, I back up the zipper with a velcro strap closure. For normal walking around, I use only the velcro strap to keep the top flap closed. If I am crossing a stream or worse, I zip it first and then use the velcro.

–B.G.–

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Yeah we were walking in rain and swirling fog for two days so could be the case.

One of the ideas I've been kicking around is a padded roll top case that I'd mount at a 45* angle towards the bottom of my left shoulder strap (opening pointed towards my right shoulder) so all I'd have to do is pop a single fastex clip.

As always, thanks for your insight.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

My own rule of thumb for wildlife photography is that I need to get the first shot off within five or ten seconds. Somehow, the padded roll top case with a fastex clip doesn't seem like the fastest choice.

It also depends on how much investment you have in a camera. That will govern how much padding you have to place around it.

All in all, I have used a number of Lowepro camera cases, and I've never been unhappy with them, with the possible exception that they do get a little heavy at times. The Lowepro AW600 is a complete backpack for one lens.

–B.G.–

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I recently bought the Should Strap Pocket from GG and it fits my RX100m2 almost perfectly. It has very light padding in front for protection. I would consider it water resistant — certainly not water proof. Also fits conveniently on my shoulder strap.

Here's the link:
    http://gossamergear.com/more-gear/accessories/shoulder-strap-pocket.html

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

The lowepro dashpoint 10 fits my RX100 perfectly, and can be had for $10 here:

http://www.adorama.com/LPDP10RD.html?gclid=CjkKEQjwwbCcBRCxvJn9-N6dorwBEiQAVriOihQikvQANpqPV_JwJc8RpGQ_F-Ll0cs7a5gWLjjddSjw_wcB

It fits very securely on the shoulder strap, is low profile and doesn't bounce at all. You can leave it unzipped and it'll stay in place as well. I think mine is like 2 oz, which is maybe an oz more than something you might call UL, but I think its more than worth the extra oz or so for a case that seems custom built for the camera and makes it easy to quick draw whenever you see a photo. The padding is also a step up from what you'd find in generic UL shoulder pouches.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

Incase you just want to add some added water protection for one of these they fit well inside the zpacks passport size zip cases

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

I picked up a dashpoint 10 case for the m2 I just got. In canada at least best buy is clearing out these cases for 5$ each in store. Don't know about in the US however

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools