Topic

Paying it Forward Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Paying it Forward Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Over the winter I talked a lot back and forth with Tim at EE.
    Mainly it was for getting his own material instead of purchasing online.
    I had some 20d fabric I got hold of and loved and after several examples he got his Phantom 10d.
    Tim wanted to see how my fabric would work with his stuffing machine and a few weeks later I receive his 20 degree 1 off shipped to me for free.

Well after meeting John Albea, I really dig the way he looks at his gear, how he choses it, and his reviews.
    However, I tend to make almost every piece of my gear where John doesn't use a single piece.
    I decided to pay it forward to John with a piece of gear he could have a lot of use with.

John uses his Monbell sleeping bag most nights the temps are under 50 degrees but on occasion doesn't use a bag at all.
    So I wanted to give him the lightest quilt I could make that would push him down a few degrees and get out of his heavy bag and into a quilt for most of his nights.

Used M50 top, Nobul1 bottom with Climashield 2.5
    The bottom is a half taper from 42 inches to 30 inches.

The width is made to only cover you, keeping out the drafts and keeping in the warmth while the single extended layer from the bottom tucks under you. The quilt is sewn back from the outer top edges about 8 inches creating a hole for the head. The head also has insulation around the bottom to keep you a little warmer and agin keep the drafts out.

Came out to 8.5 ounces.

I only intend the quilt on keeping him 5 degrees warmer as 90% of his nighttime temps are between 45-55*.
    Just thought you might like to see a quilt pushed to it's minimum weight.
    While silk or cuben could lower the weight, I already had the material laying around.

Tim can give any further reports on this.pl

1cv

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

That sure is light!

High performance materials and it looks great.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Abela and I were just talking about this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools