Topic

June Pemi Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists June Pemi Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Oxenrider

@theox26

Locale: South Central PA

Hey guys.

I am doing a trip in the white Mountains in late June staying at the tent sites or shelters. We are doing the 34.5 mile 3 day Pemigewasset Loop, found here:

http://caltopo.com//map?id=5F23

Here is my current gear list for this hike:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=18683

I have not hiked in that area before and so I have some questions on appropriateness of my gear list. Mainly, am I packing for too cold or not cold enough for night in those mountains? I have other pads and bags for 20*-45*.

Is my hexamid ok for the tent plantforms? I assume I'd need to use rocks for tieouts since the stakes won't work on a platform.

Am I ok using my wood stove or should I plan to do alcohol or gas instead? I have a gas stove but I'm thinking of flying up and don't know where I'd get a gas canister from once there.

I'm comfortable with my gear at this level but suggestions on anything I could drop would be appreciated. I'd of course do a more local test hike with the modifications to make sure I'm ok with it first.

I do think my gear is now light enough to use a lighter pack and the MLD 2300ci Burn looks tempting. Most of my hikes are like this one, 3 days ~30 miles so it seems like a good size for me. Any other packs I should compare it to?

Any help is appreciated.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

…both have platforms, so rocks might be the way to go unless there are eyelets hanging around; sometimes people screw them into the platforms and leave them behind. Both have bear boxes and occasional issues. If you're planning to stealth-camp somewhere else, you might have trouble finding a decent flat spot big enoug for your shelter away from the trail.

I can't see you gear list on my iPad, but recommend you plan for rain, bugs (lots of bugs) and overnight temps to about freezing.

It's a beautiful loop and you're going to love it! Which direction are you planning to go?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Rich, which way do you like to go? I did it in a day last year and went Bonds first counter clockwise.

both campsites have shelters too if necessary. you can also do a fun trick by putting the guyline through the eye of the hooks and using a stake to hold it. I would not count on finding many places to camp other than those places. but 3 days is plenty manageable for the loop.
    tent stake

You could always make a cat stove and get a bottle of Heet at the gas station in Lincoln. not a ton of wood fuel around, especially the western half

It is worth the short side trip to go up West Bond and has some great views of the entire Pemi. Galehead is not, unless you're going to do all 48 4k's someday.

here is my list when i did the eastern half of it as a 1 night last july 20. i actually used my 45* MYOG quilt but if i was going in june i'd bring my 20* to be on the safe side. 30* should be fine.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=14195

Aaron Oxenrider

@theox26

Locale: South Central PA

Thanks guys. I am going with a group and I don't know which way they are planning to go. Which is better?

I guess I'll work with some liquid gas stoves to get a hang for it if there isn't much tinder around.
    I have a small catfood can I can make into that style gas stove. Is the soda can version better and worth making to test it out?

It looks like I'll be able to make my tent work with the platforms though.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

worst comes to worst you can just stay in the shelter. that is what I did. I decided i was tired and didn't feel like dealing with my tent so I stayed in there instead. at least Guyot is 2 levels.. can fit probably 8-10 people.

Cat stove is not for liquid gas.. it's for denatured alcohol/Heet.

I like going counter clockwise. Guyot is a good distance for day 1, you have a 4ish mile flat warm up to get geared up for the Bonds. garfield isn't too far for day 2 but you can drop packs and take a side trip to N. Twin if you think you have time. Going down S. Twin and back up Garfield ridge is work for sure. Day 3 along the franconia ridge is awesome and you have Liberty springs campsite if for some reason you need to do an extra night.

it is a great loop.. i've done it 2.5 times.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Others have covered a lot of your questions already. I will add that if the tent site gets crowded, the caretaker may assign multiple tents to a single platform. That can make it tricky to stake out one side of your shelter. I'd recommend bringing a good length of extra line in case you need to get creative.

Have fun. And don't skip West Bond summit.

Jason Robichaud
    BPL Member

@j4design_build

I've done this loop multiple times, some overnight trips, and one grueling 14hr single day hike. I would look into if you have one or the money for one, a bivy. Ditch the hexamid for this trip. There isn't much great stealth camping without crushing some delicate alpine nature and the tent platforms are first come first serve with some folks pitching 4 person tents.

You are going to get bugged. Bring a bug net, use it as a stuff sack. It's worth it. You'll be able to get a canister, or denatured alcohol.

And as everyone is saying, don't miss West Bond.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools