Topic

GoLite’s New Shelter Line for 2008 (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2007)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable GoLite’s New Shelter Line for 2008 (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2007)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
    Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

That is quite a selection of shelters. Looks like they are re-investing the $$ from sale of their brand name, very good.

I'm not so sure about the claim of “world's first free-standing ultra-lite tarps” though …. TarpTent Rainbow, anyone?

Concerning the weights, while clearly not in the SUL range (h*ck, neither myself nor my pack are SUL), they are pretty much competitive (slightly heavier) with alternatives offering similar degrees of enclosure.

Any chance of providing footprint size (can't call it "floor size" if it is floorless)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Will:

I thought I read earlier that the hybrids have Epic fabric for the vestibule and SilLite fabric for the tent body??? Can you confirm please?

Jim:

The tarptents Rainbow and Double Rainbow are not inherently self standing — although you can make them so by velcroing on two poles — which you supply yourself.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

A bit hard to tell from that picture, however they all use two poles. One that has some potential (for me) is the Shangri La 1, with the option of a floor or netted inner.
    This picture may give a better idea.It is from http://lighthiker.wordpress.com/, Roman, the owner of the site and picture is at the moment stomping through my ancestral lands so I feel free to post it here.
    Franco

Shangri La 1
    Shangri La 1

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roman lists the Shangri-La 1 as 18 oz, vs. 21 oz in the above list. I'd be very curious to find out the weight of the shelter alone, no stakes, no stuffsack. Roman's listed height also suggests one can sit up in it. Imagine a 4-season shelter you can sit up in and requires no bivy for 18 oz!

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Hex 3, with no stuff sack, stakes, or poles weights only 25.3 oz. If the Shangri-La 1 is truly 21 oz for bare-bones, I'd rather keep my Hex 3! but if the Shangri-La performs like the Hex 3 in the wind, and weights 18oz, it's a no-brainer for my solo 3-season camping above timberline.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been looking for a solo version of my Hex 3. The Wild Oasis looks interesting but I held off waiting to see what the Shangra La looks like. It looks like it would be a little difficult to crawl in an out of. The picture doesn’t show much. Hopefully someone will post some better photos. This particular shot is from an OR show in England or Europe. It has been in circulation for at least a couple of weeks.

Martin GĂĽnther
    BPL Member

@tourcard

pictures from OUTDOOR Friedrichshafen::

Shangri-La 3

shelter: 820g
    pole: 430g
    stakes: 90g
    height: 157cm
    area: 5.5m2

Shangri-La 3
    Shangri-La 3 dim

Martin

Martin GĂĽnther
    BPL Member

@tourcard

Shangri-La 4+

shelter: 1080g
    pole: 430g
    stakes: 110g
    height: 185cm
    area: 8.4m2

Shangri-La 4+
    Shangri-La 4+ dim

Martin

Anonymous
    Inactive

Martin,

Thanks for posting the photos. Do you happen to have some photos of the Shangri-La 1 and/ or 2? It appears that only one pole is necessary for the 3, but the photo of the 1 indicates that 2 poles are necessary for the smaller tent?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

All of these look very interesting… it'll be interesting to see how the 'Utopias' stand up to the ID Sildome… in oz/sqft coverage type comparisons…

Martin GĂĽnther
    BPL Member

@tourcard

John,

I have no pictures from Shangri-La 1 & 2, but Shangri-La 1, 2, 6 and 8 require all two poles.

Martin

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sorry to have added to the confusion, I had just finished reading the article from TGO were it mentions only the 1 and 2 and had forgotten about the others.
    In fact I was going to comment that the former are not a pyramid design at all, it is a bit difficult after all to make a space efficient solo shelter with that design unless you cut it in half and call it alph a mid.
    Franco

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Here's some clarification on the pole issue.

The Shangri-La 1 and 2 use two trekking poles, and poles are not included in the weight given.

The 3 and 4+ are pyramid tents (similar to old Hex) that use one pole, and the weight of that special pole is included in the weight.

The 6+ and 8+ use two special poles and the their weight is included in the total.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the confusion. I corrected the information in the article.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools