Topic

hike to base camp – day/side hike pack suggestion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) hike to base camp – day/side hike pack suggestion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I'm taking a trip to mt rogers next week where we will be hiking in about 4 miles then side hiking to the summit and Thomas knob shelter – this happens periodically and I need a small light minimalist pack to carry water snacks and rain gear mostly. Want as light and packable as possible but more than the nylon sack with rope straps setup. Also cost effective. Is the flash 18 the best in class for this kind of thing for the money? Am I overlooking anything?

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

You could maybe look at the tera nova laser 20 however it does cost considerably more than the flash

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I have a Deuter Wizard and think it's the perfect side trip pack. It looks a little funny because it's small, but it has some very important features:

-Lightweight >8 oz before suggested alterations (see below).
    -External water bottle pockets that can comfortably support 32 ounce Nalgenes.
    -Shoulder straps are comfortable with 2 liters of water, rain gear, jacket, etc.
    -Simple, easy to get to organization (main zippered compartment, small zippered front pocket extra internal storage pockets.
    -Because water can be stored in the outside pockets, the interior volume is sufficient for me for: insulation piece, rain jacket, snacks, camera, etc.
    -An added bonus for me is that my Thermarest Zseat fits perfectly inside the pack on the back panel making the pack even more comfy and giving me a nice cushion if I decide to stop to watch the sunset or something romantic like that.

wizard

Potential changes:

-I didn't think the fanny pack option was that useful for me so I cut off the fanny pack waste strap and my girlfriend sewed it into the shoulder straps as a sternum strap which is nice though not necessary. If you don't need the strap and buckle you probably save ~1 oz

-If you don't want the fanny pack pockets (which form internal pockets inside the pack and serve as a stuff sack for the pack). I imagine that removing the fanny pack part would save ~2-3 oz. I kept mine in because I like having the little internal pockets for small items, but it would be easy to cut them out and it would not show outside of the pack.

-With these changes you could drop the total weight to ~4-5 oz.

It's not very fashionable, but to me it's ideal when I know I will be base camping

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

Also, I love the Mt. Rodgers/Grayson Highlands area. Probably my favorite place I've hiked in the eastern US. Enjoy your trip. I'm stuck in Florida where the weather and fishing is nice, but the elevation isn't…

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

A lot of people like their Flash 18s here! Mine from a few years ago comes in at 9.5oz with a myog 0.6oz sit pad in there. It's not too bulky to pack without the pad in there. The new one appears to be a little heavier, but mine originally came in under the listed spec.

I don't like the drawstring on mine – the channel is really sticky and the lock device would get stuck every time. This appeared to be fixed when I saw the latest iteration in store. With some weight in there, the shoulder straps feel too close together at the neck, but I've only had this problem on the bike. Trekking poles lashed to the outside flop around a bit because of the fabric and lack of compression.

Off the top of my head – For the same price, Gossamer Gear has the Riksak 2 (a little smaller and a lot lighter). The straps look similar to the Flash 18.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

That Deuter looks pretty sweet, especially with the modifications.

Personally, I think the Flash 18 is way more than you need, and is too heavy, but YMMV.

Sea to Summit's Ultra-Sil daypack is another option — virtually weightless!

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

These ones have long been a packable favorite on here as well as for travelers needing a day pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Ultra-Sil-Pack-20-Liter/dp/B002ZHS6JS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1397670195&sr=8-8&keywords=packable+backpack

They win on both weight (2.4 oz – 1/5 of the flash) and packed volume (tiny). One step up from a nylon "hobo sack". Speaking from experience if you know how to pack these things they are perfectly comfortable. They are also about big enough to do SUL. LOL

Anything more is just over-engineered for it primary purpose, pack negligibly small, and comfortably carry water, food, layers on a day hike.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have the Terra Nova 20L Elite, mentioned above:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/ultralight-packs/laser-20l-elite.html#.U06mKSha–8

Two nice features over the Flash 18: (1) the side pockets for water bottles or a wind jacket, and (2) the the velcro & roll-top closure is a little more secure and weather-resistant than the Flash.

I traded for mine here on the gear forum some time ago. I never used the hip pockets or belt so I took it to Rainy Pass in Seattle and had them cut them off and resew much better than I could.

Also: I got one of these for my kids to wear, but I'd wear it too: http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-daypack#specsTab

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/riksak.html

2.6 oz, $30 and the most comfortable shoulder straps you'll ever find on a daypack.

Rudy R
    BPL Member

@rudyr1999

http://sub60.wikispaces.com/home

Check it out. I was so impressed with the first one I purchased a 2nd for a gift.

-Rudy

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I stopped by REI at lunch today and took a gander at the Flash 18, the travel daypack, and the Sea to Summit. I was seduced by the size/weight of the Sea to Summit and picked one up.

The Flash 18 is a neat pack but it and the travel daypack both seemed like a bit more than what I needed for a platy and rain jacket…

I'll try it out and see – the straps aren't substantial but seem good enough for the relatively light weight we're talking about here.

Travis Higdon
    Spectator

@life-goes-on

Locale: PNW

I had Zpacks build a pack for me for this very purpose. I went with the Zero extra-small as a base and made some modifications (ice axe loop, roll top, shock cord for crampons). It functions as my dry bag for my sleeping gear which is stuffed into a larger pack to basecamp. I use it for summit day and side trips while my sleeping gear is in the shelter. I've also found that I use it a lot for single day trips. It comes standard with a chest strap and I find it quite comfortable for carrying under 10 lbs. Don't let the extra small size fool you, I'm 6' 195 lbs and it fits fine for what it is. You can add a few other options to it (top strap for pad, water bottle holder, etc) but as long as you do the roll top option and don't have them put any holes in it you can use it as a multipurpose dry bag.

Before this I used a Black Diamond Bullet which is heavier and not water proof, but certainly much more durable.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I have taken that Sea to Summit as a regular daypack all around the world for over a year. I took care of (but didn't baby) it and it still has no spots to be wary of. It is such a light and flexible bag but I wouldn't call it fragile.

The thin but wide straps carries quite some stuff pretty well I thought, but for bigger loads like camera gear and odd shapes hard items I put a small foam pad in my back and it worked wonders. If you carry a sit pad on your trek anyway you might put it in there when you go on your day trek. Have fun.

edit-

Just realised there are two (or perhaps more) from Sea to Summit. My feedback from above is the seam taped roll top variant.

seatosummit ultraist dry daypack

Timothy Crippen

@mythinglink

Locale: Colorado

Another option. Chicobag Daypack 15.
    5.5 oz
    900 ci
    Exterior pockets
    $25 Prime on Amazon and $21 on EBay.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The new Riksak 2 is pretty sweet. Shoulder straps are quite a bit better than the Flash 18. But you can get the Flash in bright colors.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

Hey Dave, can you offer any photos of the new Riksak 2? The product page on GG's website is pretty limited.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I can't. When I had a proto last autumn I was sworn to silence and didn't take any photos.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use a Zimmerbuilt Summit Sack. 1.2 oz, doubles as a stuff sack for a large sleeping bag or quilt, $35.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

I hadn't seen the roll-top version of the STS pack before – that's a nice choice. I have the regular (zippered) one, and while it is a bit lighter, it has very little water resistance. I've had little puddles of water inside mine from just a sustained drizzle. The fabric is fine, but the zipper lets a surprising amount of water through.

The bag can take some weight. I did some hut-to-hut hiking in Switzerland with 13lbs. in mine (ridiculously heavy for the functionality of the gear I had, but that was pre-BPL) and it is certainly strong enough. The straps do tend to slide to the side and bunch up, so I fashioned a chest strap that helps some. The body has suffered a couple of small holes, but repair tape fixed that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools