Topic

Thanks for the help on my first MYOG pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thanks for the help on my first MYOG pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sam jepsen
    Spectator

@samjepsen

Locale: Southern California

Hey All,

This is my first time posting after close to 2 years reading countless threads and posts. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that is active in these forums for the wealth of information that they share. It was of incalculable worth while making this pack. That being said, I would love feedback of any sort, on any aspect of the pack since I plan on making more in the future!

Materials:
    Black 210d 4.2oz sq/yd Dyneema Gridstop body
    Blue 1.1oz sq/d Silnylon roll-top closure, pockets and trim
    3.5oz sq/yd medium hand mesh pocket
    1/4" Closed cell foam for the straps
    nylon webbing of various widths

Approximate Dimensions
    10.5"x6.5"x23"(+9")
    As a box= [1570 cui (25.7L)] + [pockets of about 420cui, 162 cui x2 = 12L] = 32.7L total
    As a Cylinder= [2117 cui (34.7L)] + [pockets of about 420cui, 162 cui x2 = 12L] = 46.7L total

I know there's an "official" way to measure capacity that is semi-standardized but I am under the impression you have to pay for it (?). In any case, the numbers above should be enough for you to imagine and all I know is that it holds all the gear I am taking in the JMT this summer (including my bear canister).

1u

2u

3u

4u

5u

6u

7u

scale shot

Thanks again!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might orient the photos differently so that they can be viewed right-side up.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Wow Sam!

It's hard to believe that's your first pack. It looks absolutely great.

The Dyneema will serve you well.

Todd

sam jepsen
    Spectator

@samjepsen

Hey Bob,
    How do you do that? I couldn't seem to find anything just now when I tried to edit the post and the pics are right-side-up on my computer. Thanks!

Hey Todd,
    Thanks! I made one quilt and one Kinsman pullover last season but thats it (so far!).
    -Sam

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Hi Sam,
    Try right click/save the photos from this post on the website. They should save sideways. Rotate the photo and when you edit the original post, hit "enter" after each photo and they should list vertically. Hopefully this helps.
    Thanks,
    Jon

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Sam, let me guess. Apple product?

–B.G.–

sam jepsen
    Spectator

@samjepsen

Bob,
    yessir…

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Locale: Sierra Nevadas

Very nice looking pack Sam. Nice work

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Sam, I think you got it this time.

Part of the issue is that Apple products have a little orientation sensor inside so that when you shoot a photo, it "flags" the image file with the correct orientation setting, except that it does this in a non-standard way that all Apple products can read and understand. Generic products have the same sensor, but they flag the image file with the correct orientation setting, and they do it in a standard way that all Apple and non-Apple products can read and understand correctly.

It isn't any fault of you, the Apple user. It is just Apple's arrogance that is the issue.

–B.G.–

George Tate Hunt

@tripplespill

Great job on your first pack, may it serve you well!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Great looking pack, Sam. Take those volume measurements with a grain of salt because yes, that method isn't accurate. If it holds all the gear you need for the JMT then you've dialed it in just the way you needed!

If you really need or want to know the volume I'd be happy to do it for you but you'd need to mail it.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"I know there's an "official" way to measure capacity that is semi-standardized but I am under the impression you have to pay for it (?)."

As far as I know some manufacturers just use polystyrene balls to do it.
    Just fill a pot you know the size of (say 4/6 L ) with those balls, transfer them to the pack and keep doing till nearly full then switch to a 1 or 2 liter container .
    The air gaps between the balls in the pot will be about the same as in your pack…

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Any recommendations on a good pattern to try making a practice pack???

sam jepsen
    Spectator

@samjepsen

Hey Jennifer,
    I would HIGHLY recommend making a pattern. That was just one of the many pieces of advice that I got that turned out to be hugely helpful. I know there are free patterns out there (http://thru-hiker.com/projects/lab_pack.php, http://www.mountainultralight.com/2011/09/make-your-own-cuben-fiber-backpack.html are just 2 of many I looked at before starting) but ultimately I just took what I liked from each and made a design in my head. After drawing it out and labeling the dimensions, I made a quick prototype out of cheap cotton cloth just to see if all my gear would fit, the torso lenght was what I thought it should be etc. I made a few adjustments before I made the actual pack. Here is a pic of the prototype with "notes" written on it.

Prototype 3

Hope this helps!

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

Looks great,you're providing inspiration, it's becoming clearer that I need to make some gear.

What sort of sewing machine did you use and where are the materials sourced from. I assume the sewing experience came playing with the prototype/pattern.

sam jepsen
    Spectator

@samjepsen

Hey Daniel,
    I have also made a quilt and a kinsman pullover and tons of stuff sacks. That plus the prototype provided more than enough experience to get through this project. I have a fairly simple SInger that just does straight and zig-zag stitches. It struggled on some thicker parts and on the straps but with some finagling it did the whole thing. I got the materials from several places…

Dyneema = http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php (Funny thing is, I tried to buy the 140d but didn't realize Paul had shipped the 210d until I got some samples of the other colors well after the project was finished.)

Almost all the hardware, webbing, and foam came from Outdoor Wilderness Fabric = http://www.owfinc.com/

If you have questions about any of the particular parts, just let me know!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools