Topic

Metabolism vs Body Fat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Metabolism vs Body Fat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Joel,

Yes, i'm familiar with Wim Hof. I can't say for certain how he does it or not since i'm not in his body, but he claims it was a combo of practicing learned meditative techniques, as well as some adaptation. Not that he was born with some extra high metabolism.

But what is fairly certain is this, according to mainstream science as is now, he shouldn't be able to survive these feats as a human being. If most people did some of the things he has done, they would die.

Also, his long time meditation practice and certain techniques doesn't just apply to withstanding the cold. In a clinical setting with medical staff, he had himself injected with a non active/dead form of a certain pathogen that even when dead and non active, causes a very strong immune reaction in people…usually.

Wim started to get some slight reaction at first, but he somehow managed to overcome any major symptoms. He essentially said he manipulated his immune system with his mind.

Since i've had a number of anomalous experiences over the years myself, i'm inclined to consider that what he also says is true, we have an inner consciousness which can in the right circumstances supersede or manipulate that area of consciousness we call the "physical". Wim Hof is just one of many people whose experiences and demonstrations suggest that there is much more to us than purely physical. There also have been studies (such as the Princeton, Global Consciousness Project) that have suggested that physical can be influenced by human thought/feelings/consciousness (albeit subtly in this case).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wrote earlier, "But what is fairly certain is this, according to mainstream science as is now, he shouldn't be able to survive these feats as a human being. If most people did some of the things he has done, they would die."

Regarding the last sentence, what is really amazing about him is not just that, but that he has done so many different feats that would kill or severely injure most people, and not only did he survive them, but he is consistently in good health minus a couple of minor injuries here and there.

Also, another thing besides the medical test i brought up earlier, that suggests that it's not just about fast metabolism, is that he has done extreme heat/desert feats as well as cold, though he seems to prefer and like the cold.

A super high metabolism is not a plus in extreme heat conditions–more of a liability. That is why some health groups advise that in more extreme heat waves, to not eat much protein because it tends to raise your metabolism (and concentrated, complex proteins require more water to digest/process and thus can dehydrate you faster both via increased body heat and using more for digestion).

In extreme heat, i tend to eat less food in general, more vegan, more carbs, and more raw, lower calorie, and/or easier to digest foods. It makes a noticeable difference in body comfort. Opposite in winter, especially when backpacking in same during more extreme cold snaps, lot more food, lot more protein and fat, less vegan or even less vegetarian.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools