Topic

Rifle Stock Ammo Holder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Rifle Stock Ammo Holder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I got this idea from Dave C who got it from Evan Hill. I changed both of their ideas a bit to suit my needs as I wanted the padding to wrap part way around the stock to raise my cheek up a bit and had slightly different ideas on the use of binding tape around the edges.

rifle-ammo-holder

rifle-ammo-holder-top

rifle-ammo-holder-back

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I thought to replace the sling swivel with cord. Lighter and quieter, why didn't I think of that? The ammo holder is nice by the way.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Warning: Theoretical rabbit hole ahead!

Heavier guns (other things being equal) have less recoil, right?

And there's some stuff you need to carry along with your gun, right?

So if extra ammo, a liter of water or your skinning knife was securely fixed within or upon the stock, wouldn't the gun recoil less while your total skin-out weight would be unchanged?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Sounds interesting to me David…

I'd guess a skinning knife, bone saw, whetstone and ammo could add up to a pound or so. If that was all packed tightly into a hollowed out buttstock or attached to the outside I think that would be enough weight to make a difference. I'm not so sure about attaching water bottles.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Yes, but that weight would also affect your ability to hold the gun comfortably and stable in a shooting position.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I like the water idea. A skeletonized stock with a Platypus affixed in it. Maybe make for a comfy cheek rest at the same time. If you ever put in a powdered drink mix, you could dissolve it instantaneously with a shot.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

My father just got a freebie stock pouch from Ruger when he bought his 30-06. It has cartridge straps, like in the OP, along with a little zippered storage compartment and some soft cheek facing. I wasn't overly interested when he was showing me, but seems like what's being talked about here, sans water bottle of course. Lots of variations on this theme out there, but MYOG keeps the weight down, at least that's what I'm getting from it. Not sure how good your aim would be with a bottle of water sloshing around anywhere on a rifle though.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

I tried mountain biking (with the rifle slung) with something like that and lost cartridges. I have thought a zippered pouch covering the cartridges, with the top being able to fold under the case head when quick access is needed might be nice. The pouch could also hold an item or two (license). I like a light weight in my hand, especially bush wacking. I don't feel the recoil if I see something exciting anyway.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"Yes, but that weight would also affect your ability to hold the gun comfortably and stable in a shooting position."

Yes, but most likely for the better if anything. Target rifles are heavy for a reason. Granted the weight wouldn't be where it is in a target rifle, but I suspect that if anything there would be an improvement in how steady you could hold the weapon.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

David, I rode my bike home with the rifle slung around my neck last evening and I was wondering if that would be an issue.

Pete, to be honest with you have no idea if I was correct about my assumptions of weight placement and how it affects shotting as I'm a novice shooter. Thanks for putting it into a bit better perspective.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks good Sam. I use one on my single shot to keep rounds close, but leave it off the bolt guns to keep them slick.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

My Tikka allows for three in the magazine and one in the chamber so I'd need to be doing some downright terrible shooting to need that many rounds at any given time. I was mostly just itching for a sewing project last Friday and this just happened to be the current idea that won out to get built.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Target rifles are heavy for a reason. "

And therein lies the difference – what kind of shots do you usually take? For black and caribou my companions are usually taking 200-300 yard shots so they are prone or using a rest and more weight would help. The rifle is slung over one's shoulder or strapped to the pack.

Moose, on the other hand, are where the willows are and you're often bushwhacking. Or if you're set up overlooking a pile of stale donuts (I don't, but some people do), there are no long shots but possibly swinging the rifle quickly.

HYOH(unt)

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

""Yes, but that weight would also affect your ability to hold the gun comfortably and stable in a shooting position."

Yes, but most likely for the better if anything. Target rifles are heavy for a reason. Granted the weight wouldn't be where it is in a target rifle, but I suspect that if anything there would be an improvement in how steady you could hold the weapon."

At most I notice 1/4" difference at 100 yards from my Grandad's 15 lb varmint rifle and a 5 lb scout rifle on bench or prone. Standing or kneeling the heavy rifle is harder to keep on target.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools