Topic

KARAKORAM VALLEY- ANY advice?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning KARAKORAM VALLEY- ANY advice?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

I think this would be a wild trip.Thinking of travelling along the K-Highway in the karakorum valley.No mountaineering.Mostly side daytrips,hiking similar to what one does along highway 395-eastern sierra.
    Has anyone here been?What advice?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Before you start making many plans, you might want to read up on what happened to Ned Gillette.

–B.G.–

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I cycled the KKH from Islamabad to the Chinese border in 1995: fantastically memorable trip.
    Then the Indus was blocked for a while with a landslide. Possibly OK now?
    An area of unrest these days.
    Perhaps try a little searching to see what reports come back?

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

im probably going to europe this fall etc but going to kkh is another world to me.Nothing like western civilization.The culture shock,lack of development and the spectacular mtn scenery are very appealing to me.I think it has become a lot more popular recently however murder rates of tourist have not risen nor are they frequent from what ive heard.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Before you start making many plans, you might want to read up on what happened to Ned Gillette."

+1 and that was just some bandits. There is some really serious sh!t going down in that area these days, and Westerners are square in the cross hairs, particularly Americans. It may sound romantic, but it isn't worth your life. At least check with the State Department on current conditions before you make a decision.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

ned gillette was 16 yrs ago…isolated incident,no?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"isolated incident,no?"

It wasn't very isolated for Ned.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"ned gillette was 16 yrs ago…isolated incident,no?"

At the time, yes. It was also before 9/11 and the Afghan war, and the drone strikes in the NW Frontier provinces of Pakistan, which are hugely unpopular with all Pakistanis. For your own good, Dave, at least check with the State Department. The link below will give you an idea of what I am getting at. Not much has changed since then, but you could call them to see if anything has changed.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/pakistan-travel-warning.html

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

i live in LA,your life is at peril from criminals of all sorts…ive had lapd point a gun at me -for no reason…Just look at the poor innocent kid they shot and killed on monday along with shooting another innocent.Every week the pd are killing harmless people.

Its all relative.I am apprehensive about pakistan but do the stats give this fear any merit?

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

thanks Tom

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

The Taliban have demonstrated an ability to strike pretty much anywhere they want in Pakistan although you'd be more a "target of opportunity" rather then something they'd put a lot of effort into. Stratfor.com offers a free trial subscription. Might want to get that and print off everything they have about the Pakistani Taliban. And get a map and compare where you want to go to where incidents are. The Taliban aren't going to send a strike force across Pakistan just to grab you but camping out in their backyard seems to be pushing your luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"thanks Tom"

You bet, Dave. Luke has just posted some good beta. Worth a look. In the end, it's your decision, but it's best to have evaluated all the info you can get your hands on before you make what could be a life and death decision. I've spent a substantial amount of time in the Middle East, a bit further west, but similar in temperament and anti Western sentiments, and also a few weeks in Afghanistan back in the 60's. The whole neighborhood has a long, long tradition of hospitality to guests, but has steadily been growing increasingly hostile to Westerners for many reasons. When they get their temper up, it is a very rough neighborhood. Think it thru, and best of luck however you decide it.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Remember also that the Taliban aren't your only problem, you want to avoid unnecessary problems with the officials. You don't want to give them an excuse to arrest you and us you as an unofficial hostage while negotiating with the US.
    A while back an American intelligence contractor in Pakistan shot two assailants. It was probably justifiable self defense but the Pakistanis blew it into a major incident and held the guy in jail till they got concessions from the US. Considering the violence in that country I don't think they were concerned with the finer points of self defense law. They used him as a bargaining chip. Its not "likely" but I would not want to get arrested there after a drone strike incident for example.

Again I'd check out the stratfor.com folks. I did talk to an Army intelligence officer who used them for some of his graduate program research. He said they weren't perfect but they were about as good as any non-classified resource out there. They'll help you understand the dynamics in Pakistan, who the different militant groups are and where they would be more of a concern.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Climbers have been going into the region for quite some time and have been posting their adventures for whatever companies sponsor them. You are going to get the best information from them and not armchair speculation."

Save the snark. Climbers go in groups with local assistance. Dave is contemplating going alone. Two very different situations with very different risk profiles.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

If the Karakoram isn't safe (it's always been an area of disputes), you could always go for Ladakh. An American friend just came back from there and said it was the best experience of his life.

Susan D
    BPL Member

@susand

Locale: montana

removed. TMI.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Susan,thank you so much for your detailed and lengthy reply.
    Thanks to all others who replied.
    Ive been pondering a wild,exotic,non-western trip for the last year.Tops on that list is kk valley,followed by turkey and the silk road.One other thing i should mention is that i hold both canadian/us passports and would travel with the canadian one crossing east of the hellespont.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Slightly off topic, sorry. I'm a long-time resident of Turkey. If you decide to come to come here and need any help, send me a pm and I'll do what I can.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

thanks,turkey seems like an amazing place…will let you know.

Susan D
    BPL Member

@susand

Locale: montana

removed. TMI.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

thanks Susan for all book and guide info…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools