Topic

Sizing for someone new to quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sizing for someone new to quilts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    J Mag

@goprogator

I'm looking to get into quilts and had two questions:

1. Is a wide quilt basically a necessity for a side sleeper? I also have a 42" chest so I'm not really "thin" in the shoulder area.

2. At 6'2 can I get away with the standard 72" for a regular? My chin height should only be around 64" at the most but I'm not sure how much length you lose from the footbox of a quilt since I have never used one.

Thanks!

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

About the same size as you and a side sleeper. I use a regular wide in an EE Revelation quilt. I don't like to bury my head so the regular rev quilt is perfect plus sleeping on my side my legs are bent so I need less length. I do have a regular width as well, but I find it covers less well.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

It depends on your sleeping habits and temperament, and the temperatures at which you'll be using the quilt.

Width: I'm 6-4, broad-shouldered, and mildly claustrophobic. The only complaint I've had with my Nunatak quilts (large size) is too tight across the shoulders and chest. That may be due to my side sleeping and regular tossing and turning, or just longtime use of semi-rectangular sleeping bags. If I were a quiet sleeper I think the width would be OK.

Length: Definitely a regular length will suffice. If it gets cold, layer up with a down jacket and hat. That's the point of a quilt.

You might check out the quilt reviews (some of them mine) at BackpackGearTest.org to get a better idea of what you want.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Get the Long.

In EE quilts I use the Long/Wide – I'm about your size.

Kevin S.
    BPL Member

@kstephens

I am 6'4", broad shouldered as well, and an EE long wide revelation fits perfect.

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

If you talk with Tim at EE (based on your provided stats and I am 6'3" and 220 broad shoulders) he will probably recommend a Long/wide for you

I believe the post above me lists the same advice.

J Mag

@goprogator

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I guess at minimum I will pick up a wide quilt on gear swap and definitely a wide/long if I'm lucky enough to afford an EE.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I'm 5' 11" and 180, medium frame. I have an MLD Spirit 48 in large and I wish I had gone bigger. It's fantastic in a hammock or above 50F, but it totally sucks when you are an active rotisserie sleeper and you vent all your hard-won heat at 11:00PM, then 2:00AM and again at 5:00AM.

It is my first quilt and I believe the standard dimensions are much smaller than EE or other vendors for the same size. Quilts are great but definitely allow for extra length and width unless you literally sleep like a log.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

We can't give you size suggestions unless we know which quilt. My wide is a lot wider than a hammock gear wide, and my regular 78" vs 72". There is no way to give suggestions like reg or wide or long unless we know which quilts you are looking at.

Long/wide if its one of mine (you could just fit a Reg/Reg but why skimp on coverage)

-Tim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools