Topic

ZPacks WPB Cuben Fiber Jacket vs. OR Helium II vs. ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks WPB Cuben Fiber Jacket vs. OR Helium II vs. ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

My search for the holy grail of UL rain jackets for 3-season backcountry travel has led me to these. So which to choose? From what I understand, the OR Helium II is about 6.3 oz for a medium whereas the ZPacks jacket is 4.5 oz. However, the Zpacks jacket is about twice the cost and half(?) the breathability. From what I gather, the breathability of the Zpacks is only about 8000 g / m3 whereas the OR Helium II is around 24000 g / m3? [Not sure if the numbers/units are correct, but this is what I recall reading online].

Thoughts? If the OR Helium II is truly as breathable as the numbers suggest, do you think I could ditch my windshirt (currently a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, around 1.8 oz)

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

It is my understanding that the Zpacks is far more waterproof. That being said, I own the Helium 2 and looked at both.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I own an OR Helium II because I lost my e-vent jacket in the middle of a trip. Based on my experience with it, I would not ditch the windshirt. It is not too fun to hike hard in and I definitely get moist from sweat when I hike hard. Whereas, with e-vent and neo-shell I could see ditching the windshirt.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Do you happen to have the breathability specs for the OR Helium II offhand? There was a chart somewhere that compares all these jackets but I can't seem to find it online.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

Have you seen what John Abela had to say about the Zpacks jacket? I think he was the first to publicise the static head figures for the newer fabric that they are now using.

http://hikelighter.com/2013/11/07/zpacks-rain-jacket/

I have a Houdini shirt and the new Zpacks jacket. I bought the Zpacks a couple of years ago, haven't used it yet, stopped raining here about the time I bought the jacket. The Zpacks jacket is a bit snug, can't get a decent thick quilt under it for sitting about the camp in, but that's the worst I can say about it.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools