Topic

2007 Jacks ‘R’ Better Nest Down Under Quilt REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 2007 Jacks ‘R’ Better Nest Down Under Quilt REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan
    Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Definitely an awesome product. I upgraded to the Nest recently for my hammock under insulation and haven't ever looked back. I share the concerns on the DRW fabric underneath for excessive rain conditions. JRB had communicated that their source for the breathable polyurethane material used for their weather shield has dried up, and there is no published time frame for them to again offer this product. I wonder if there is any other viable source to satisfy this need, or is there perhaps a DIY project of some kind floating around?

Anonymous
    Inactive

These JRB products are great, and deserve their popularity. But I am still looking forward to a long term test of the HHSS. Tom Hennessy, for what it's worth, is still very pro this design and has not yet gone to another. I have used it quite successfully myself. Although, for me, their was a bit of a learning curve to get it below the low 40's or maybe high 30's. But the addition of the kidney/torso pads gives a big boost. It can be boosted significantly with the "Garlington insulator", a trash bag with a space blanket in it. And the original design of using clothing that you are not wearing to bed ( IF there is any not being used )can, again, really improve the warmth. And of course, the system includes some built in moisture/wind protection with the silnylon undercover. I have the larger, heavier Explorer model with the 35" wide pad. The listed weights are: silnylon undercover= 8.75 oz, underpad = 11 oz., for 19.75 oz total. ( the standard for the UL Backpacker is, I think, only 13 oz total).

Though I suspect the down under quilts will be a bit warmer for about the same weight, this is probabbly still a good alternative. Considering that the "weather-shield" is already part of the system, and cost. There MIGHT also be an additional wet weather advantage to the open cell foam compared to down. And there is a cost advantage: $129 size reg. Naturally, all of that nice down cost's more.

But if using the No-Sniv as an underquilt, you would have the multi use advantage of wearing it for camp warmth. That's a big advantage, but it would already be taken care of if using the No Sniv for the top quilt.

So I hope there is a thorough testing here someday! Even though maybe not quite as warm, it has other factors that make it a possible alternative.

Anonymous
    Inactive

P.S.
    I normally use a 2 oz space blanket on top of the underpad, as directed by TH. I think this does add some warmth, but I have never had any condensation issues worth mentioning.

Stevan Beer

@papabeer

Locale: Gunnison Valley

I use a ULA Rain Wrap for bottom rain gear and found that it has multiple uses. Haven't tried it yet, but with a little shock cord and some mini-biners, it seems like it would make a great moisture barrier for the underside of a JRB Nest.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools