Topic

Victoria Island, British Columbia Canada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Victoria Island, British Columbia Canada

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

I've got a business trip next week to Victoria, BC and will have time for an overnighter. A non-backpacker friend can shuttle me.

I've never been and I am a bit swamped with work, so I'm hoping to tap into the BPL hive mind for a suggested route!

Since it's new territory for me and I'll most likely be solo, let's keep the mileage lower between say 12-15 per day. Day 2 can be a full day for an out and back, but I prefer loops.

Here's a Goo map of the region.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@49.3913656,-124.5818681,8z

Maybe I'll get a chance to tag the PCT terminus before hoping the plane back…

Thx in Advance!

J
    Trailability.com

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

One decent option for an overnighter within a reasonable driving distance of Victoria is the Juan de Fuca trail. You won't be able to do a loop but you could get dropped off at the start (China Beach) and get picked up further down the trail. Other access points: Sombrio Beach, Parkinson Creek, Botanical Beach. China Beach is a bit under 2 hours drive from Victoria. Or start further up the trail and hike back.

If you decide on just a day hike, East Sooke Park is a good option. About an hour and 15 minute drive from Victoria. Nice trail all along the ocean. Pretty much takes (me) a day to go end to end. Interior trail to Babbington Hill is worth the view as well. East Sooke Park would be my first pick for a day hike. Not too far but feels fairly remote. Overnights not allowed.

I haven't checked in quite a while (so don't quote me!) but don't count on cell service in either park (though you may be able to connect to the US).

Other part-day options are Gowlland Tod Provincial Park and Mt Finlayson in Goldstream Provincial Park. Both are about 45 minutes from Victoria.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

@BCBob, thank you for the great information! I will definitely look into those routes. It looks like a beautiful area with plenty of what I like most: mountains and oceans.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools