Topic

Lake Morena to Southern terminus ride suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Lake Morena to Southern terminus ride suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Zack Moberg
    Spectator

@zmoberg

My girlfriend and I will be starting our journey on the PCT on the 14th. This is our first leg of many sectioning out this trail and obviously we want to start at the beginning. Due to a small nervousness she has, we've decided to do the first 20 miles as a day hike back to Lake Morena. Now back to the title….transportation to the southern terminus…we would really like to get an early 6am start but don't necessarily want to leave one of our cars at the trail head. Is there a service that you guys know such as a taxi or private service of some sort that can assist us with a ride? Thank you in advance for your help.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

A good starting place for info is the ADZPCTKO ride board:

http://adzpctko.org/hikeorride/default.html#rideboard

Another resource is the PCT-L:

http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l

There is a public bus running from Lake Morena to Campo in the morning at 6:42am. If you're going to be at Lake Morena a you might find someone camped there who would drive you to Campo. There also might be someone in the Lake Morena store/malt shop who could direct you to someone providing rides to the border. There are so many hikers heading to the border at this time of year you could just stick start walking from Lake Morena with your thumb out and get a ride to the border in minutes.

Good Luck

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The bus seems like a non-glamorous but nice reliable method. I'd probably go with that just to avoid unpredictability. You want bus 894 westbound, which leaves Lake Morena at 6:42am and only runs M-F. That gets you to Campo at 6:54am, but I think you still have a mile or so to the start.
    http://www.sdmts.com/RouteFiles/routes/pdf/894.pdf

Have fun out there. My wife and I start on the 18th. We're getting dropped off early in the AM by a San Diego TA.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Can't help you get from Morena to Campo but it looks like the PCT season has started. I was out fishing Lake Morena, in my float tube, this morning and got blown off the water around 10:30-11AM. Once I got back to shore, I had a short pleasant chat with two gals from Maine who were on the second day of their hike to Canada. Didn't think to ask them how they got down to the border for the start of their trek.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

There's still water in Lake Morena?

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Yes, there's still water in Lake Morena, just not much. I was metering water depths to 20ft out towards the dam. The City of San Diego has stopped pulling water out but they didn't leave much in it.

Zack Moberg
    Spectator

@zmoberg

Thank you so much for the information guys it was really helpful. We're both extremely excited to get this started and slowly start highlighting our miles traveled.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools