Topic

Quickie – first of the 2014 season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Quickie – first of the 2014 season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Technically this was not an overnight but we did have some new gear to use. New boots, camelbacks, hoodies, ect…. Actually I wouldn't even post this but I am so proud of my daughters I have to. Last year they complained a little during this hike but this year they were running down the trails. I guess several overnight trips @ 10k will help. They displayed some great signs of runners high. This is Bear Peak in Boulder, CO. Elevation starting at 5700 and peaking at 8455. My girls are 9&11.
    over 50 degrees and snowingrunning down the trail

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

They look like they're having a blast, Gordon, thanks for sharing.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I remember Bear Creek from my time in Boulder — great pay-off view! My girls are similar ages and I hope to get them out a little more this summer. Thanks for sharing!

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

Taking my own 8 & 10 year olds out in 2 weeks for their first backpacking overnight. They're busy choosing gear and excited because I let them pick the route (Sycamore Trail in the Deam Wilderness). Should be interesting.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

This is the year I have been waiting for. 2 years ago my wife said that when our son turns 9, he can come with for an overnighter. This June he has his 9th birthday! I have been collecting gear and planning the trip, he is beside himself thinking about it.

I still want to find him a reasonably light pack and upgrade his sleep system.

Those two girls look like they were having the time of their lives, I hope we have the same experience.

Thanks for sharing
    J

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Jeff two ideas. First get the little guy a pocket knife (do NOT ask Mom, remember it is easier to get forgiveness then permission). He'll love being able to carve a stick up. Second if fires are allowed let him light it, ideally with something really cool like a flint and steel.
    Have fun!

Oh yes, and pack junk food, kids love it when they hear that "lunch" is a couple snickers and granola bars!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

This may be 10 years from now. My girls are 2y and 6mo old. Kinda can't wait to throw them in the carrier packs and head out. Weather is finally cooperating.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools