Topic

wow moment (pack cover)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) wow moment (pack cover)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

Living in New Hampshire you never know what kind of weather you will encounter on the trail so I have been relying on my trusty granite gear syl pack cover. I know it wasn't ultralight but it was a lot lighter than my previous REI pack cover. I got comfortable using it and it always made it in my pack. I have tried a waterproof pack liner but it made a lot of crinkly noise the first time I tried it and it drove me crazy.

I am planning my next trip and hope to use my new cuben zero, taped and sealed. Checking out my list of weights, my pack cover weighed in at 120g and my new pack is 260g. So they way I see it I about doubled the weight of my waterproofing and eliminated my pack weight all together. WOW!!

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Edit: I've redacted this post since I misread the OP's initial post, thinking it dealt with the issue of pack covers versus pack liners, when in fact he is referring to using a waterproof pack instead.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Derek,
    you may want to read again the OP. slowly this time.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Waterproof packs are the way to go. None of this sorta waterproof ephemeral PU coating stuff, but an honestly waterproof fabric like hybrid cuben or the dimension polyant materials. I wish all packs were waterproof.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Oh yeah, my bad. I see my mistake…

He is using a fully seam-sealed pack now. I have no experience with those, so I can't comment.

Time to redact!

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I bought an HMG pack a couple of years ago and will never purchase another pack that isn't waterproof. Granted, HMGS are not that light, but they are comfortable, durable, and waterproof. I use a pack liner for insurance. No stuff sacks, down gear, never had a problem.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I found that I would end up with water in my HMG. Perhaps a defect, but a word of warning nonetheless.

And I'd recommend waterproof sacks for sleeping bag and clothes even with waterproof packs. Opening packs in the rain or putting wet gear or wet food bags etc back in the pack means you will collect moisture in there.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

…But if you use a waterproof pack liner with a theoretically waterproof pack, what's the point of having a waterproof pack?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

To prevent pack itself from absorbing water, which could make the pack 10 oz heavier??

I don't know…just a guess. I wondered that myself. I have a pack made from xpac that is waterproof to 200 psi…but I still use a liner for my down stuff.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I also have a pack made from xpac (with 70D silnylon for extension collar and sides). The surface fabric of the xpac absolutely absorbs water (although not a lot)–so "waterproof" doesn't help with that.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

10 ounces of water seems like quite a bit. A pack cover won't keep the padding dry, which is where most of the water is absorbed if it is 3D mesh. I don't think it is worth it.

You should be walking fast enough to dry it anyway :)

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

"…But if you use a waterproof pack liner…"

Not much in the way of pack absorption prevention…

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

"…But if you use a waterproof pack liner with a theoretically waterproof pack, what's the point of having a waterproof pack?"

Insurance on long wet trips for down garments. It allows me to open my pack in the rain if I have to get my ditty bag or food without getting my sleeping bag wet, as just one example.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Pack liners are very helpful when you have wet gear in your pack along with the dry stuff. That and things like maple syrup and down bags never have been a good mix :)

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

On behalf of about 3/4 of the residents of Vermont, thanks for promoting the use of maple syrup in ultralight backpacking. Two great assets you forgot to mention: maple syrup poured over your pack and sleeping bag will make them much less water-absorbent; and will virtually ensure that those pesky bears totally ignore your food bag hanging in a nearby (sugar maple) tree ;-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> But if you use a waterproof pack liner with a theoretically waterproof pack, what's
    > the point of having a waterproof pack?

It's called the difference between theory and practice.
    Two lines of defence.

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Maple syrup is just my symbolic reference to any leaking sticky stuff loose in your luggage.

A waterproof pack may be needed for pack rafting or canyoneering, but putting your wet muddy stuff inside one will pretty much guarantee that everything will be wet and muddy.

I have yet to see a truly waterproof pack that wasn't like wearing a rubber log with shoulder straps.

Your camera gear and insulation still need protection and I don't care if my tent and cook pot get wet.

If you are worried about your pack weight going up due to rain, wear a poncho and get UL rain shell and pack cover all in one. At some point, you are just going to be outdoors!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

No right or wrong answers here but, for comparison, my strategy is a bit different.

I make my packs out of uncoated nylon. Water runs through the fabric easily and the fabric dries quickly when the rain and sweating stop. I don't use a pack cover.

Things that need to stay dry go into a nylon stuff sack put inside a tightly closed durable plastic bag (e.g. a trash compactor bag) and carried inside the pack. I'm pretty sure my dry stuff could survive a dunking in the lake without getting wet.

I test and change the durable plastic bag as needed so I know I'm starting each trip with a reliably waterproof membrane.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools