Topic

Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

We all seem to dry them about the same, propped open with the opening down or freezing. I use this product, which is used to clean beer brewing containers and tubes. It's very good, kind of like Oxyclean without the soap.
    And it takes very little, I take months to use up the 8oz. tub sold by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Step-8-oz/dp/B0064O7VYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396645252&sr=8-1&keywords=One+step

I had inherited a glass Blenco water pitcher that was old and had an alge in it from sitting unused, the alge was red. I used the One Step and left it to soak for a few hours, but almost immediately I could see the alge being lifted off of the glass by the bubble action in the One Step. The pitcher was sparking clean in an hour, then I just rinsed well and air dried it. So since then I have used the One Step to clean out containers that I cannot scrub, including my platypus reservoirs.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Shake the water out, dump a tablespoon or so of baking soda inside, put the cap back on, shake it all around, throw it in the gear box. Never had any problems in 30+ years. Works on all kinds of water bottles. A small funnel helps to get the baking soda inside, not essential. Don't worry about a few drops of water remaining in the bottle, the baking soda soaks it up. Be sure to rinse before next use.

— Rex

marcus hampton

@thecritter

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Inflate it and lay it down on top of your cable box, PlayStation, ect.

It takes about 8 hours with this method in humid rainforests.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

A lot of folks own Peet boot dryers (and the rest should). The tops of the vents take 2” black ABS caps perfectly. Keep a few handy to block unused vents. Drill a hole that fits 1/2” PEX tubing snugly in a couple of caps and glue gun a stick of PEX in place. Swiss cheese the top of the tube. Voila, the perfect bladder dryer that you may already own… and the rest of you; well, we already covered that.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Whoa!  Those boot dryers are genius!  Don’t have an aquarium pump, but I’ve got ski boot dryers.  Sweet!

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

We all seem to dry them about the same, propped open with the opening down

Not so! I find that the quickest method is to shake out the water first, and then leave them bloated open facing up. The water seems to evaporate faster that way, and what is left settles in a pool at the bottom that can shaken out a second time. That gets most of it. They then go in a storage bin dedicated to water/cook items with the caps off.

Not many of us in Socal have boot dryers.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

The boot dryer is a great idea. If I had one, which maybe I should, I would do just that. I do the same as above^ clean, shake out, let stand inflated facing up, no cap. It does tend to evap better facing up. About a week. No biggie. But the boot dryer, fer’ sure. Solid Mgyver’in

John Foley
    BPL Member

@foleyjmetrocast-net-2

I have used Platypus products for at least 20  years an have never used any of the above methods. Simply rinse them, roll them up, put them in a Hefty type zip bag( with drained tubing as well) and put them in the FREEZER. When you want to use use them, fill the bag with hot tap water for a few minutes to melt any small ice and then fill. I have never had any issue of any kind-mold, taste, cracking or any other.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools