Topic

Whats the opinion on micro 4/3s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Whats the opinion on micro 4/3s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Locale: San Francisco

Hey Everyone,

I have been researching A LOT in here and in a bunch of different forums. I'm looking to either upgrade my camera or change my system all together.

I'll give you all the good info upfront so you know what I'm going for :-) I currently have a Canon T2i with a Canon 10-22mm, Canon 15-85mm, and a Canon 90mm Macro. I love this set up but it's really heavy and bulky. I would say 97% of my shots are landscapes, and I spend a substantial amount of time shooting the stars and making time lapses. I normally would carry the 10-22 on the camera at all times, but if I'm traveling I bring the 15-85 to avoid a 2nd lens. Mainly I am looking for some wide, fast lenses.

The moral of the story is that I have gone through over a dozen P&S camera for backpacking, my iPhone 5, hacking Canon P&S, etc and I'm always left in the wilderness wishing I had my SLR. (Mainly to shot the stars) I hardly ever bring my SLR backpacking bc it weighs 3+lbs, but that is the EXACT place I should ALWAYS have my camera. I do not need a full frame, that's excess for my needs, so I started thinking about instead of hacking a P&S, or carrying a 3lb camera, how about selling the old Canon SLR and switch to the micro 4/3s system. Seems kind of like a win win. Part of me seems like it's too good to be true.

I found this thread which seems to be the most helpful but there have been several new models released since then and that thread is more about what type of camera you need to get star trails then which camera to buy:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=80145&disable_pagination=1

The 2 cameras I'm looking at are a Sony NEX or the Olympus OM-D E-M10. I know that the Sony is not a micro 4/3rds camera but it is just as small so I'm not sure what the difference is between the sony and micro 4/3rds cameras.

My questions are how does the image compare to my images now, on the old T2i? Will it be the same quality of night shots? How do micro 4/3s do in the nightshot relm?

Does anyone have experience with and olympus or nex and taking star photos? Any recommendations on specific cameras or lens?

Thanks in advance! I always look forward to hearing what everyone out there has to say about this stuff! Cheers! – Megan

RockLake_Plumas

Oregon

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I'm of the opinion that if you want an interchangeable lens system that you might as well go aps-c (same sensor size as your canon but mirrorless bodies like the nex are much smaller). M43 lenses might be a little smaller, but just barely and they aren't really any cheaper. Hell, the A7/A7r are full frame and the body is the same size as the OMD. If you really want the flexibility of interchangeable lenses I'd probably go Nex or maybe Fuji. Nex might be more versatile lenswise for adapting third party/rangefinder lenses but the Fuji lenses are pretty excellent.

I'd check out the Sony RX100 as well. It's a pretty grown up P&S and can probably compare well with most m43 systems. Maybe search on flickr for RX100 night stars or something to see if it might fit the bill.

edit: I'd also recommend not discounting fixed lens options. Something like a Ricoh GR costs and is similar size and weight to a nice 28mm lens and you get a killer lens that is matched perfectly to the sensor.

Paul Schwerdt

@flexabull

Locale: State of Jefferson

I switched from a Nikon D90 to a Sony NEX 5n last year, and haven't looked back.

I think the sensor is the same size in the NEX as in your Canon. (not positive though)

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

"I'm of the opinion that if you want an interchangeable lens system that you might as well go aps-c (same sensor size as your canon but mirrorless bodies like the nex are much smaller). M43 lenses might be a little smaller, but just barely and they aren't really any cheaper."

What is the difference between the sony's and M43's? Other then the sony's are a little larger and have a bigger selection of lenses?

marc D
    BPL Member

@mareco

Locale: Scotland

The Sony's have a bigger sensor, so generally more light catching ability (ie better at high ISO's). This can be important for night shots if you want a short exposure so that the stars dont trail, if you do want the star trails then its not so important.

I have the original M43 GF1 and it is only good up to ISO 800, I cant do Milky Way shots with it. The latest models are good to ISO 3200 I believe, the Sony's may be higher. The Sonys also use Zeiss glass, which can be quite special.

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

I'm intrigued by the RX100. The goal here is to get as small and light as possible while not compromising quality or functionality. I think the only thing the RX100 is lacking is the time-lapse ability and interchangeable lenses. The interchangeable lens thing isn't a huge deal especially for backpacking, but i would REALLY like to not sacrifice image quality of night shots and the ability to take a time-lapse is a HUGE plus. Anyone have experience with night shots with the RX100? and time-lapse functionality?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Hey Rick,

I don't think a pocket cam is going to suffice. Unfortunately! I wish there was a camera that would fit in my pocket!!!! :-)

Yes, I regularly blow my photos up to 11 x 14 or 16 x 20. Never gone bigger then 20 x 30 and don't really intend to. So far I have yet to have a problem with this old t2i blowing up that big. Image are nice and crisp. I don't intend to publish anything but have been in several galleries.

Any suggestion?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've never used any four/thirds camera, so I can't comment. However, the larger sensor sizes of full frame 24×36 or APS-C nearly always get better image quality. As was noted, the larger sensor sizes can collect low light easier. So, if you have to shoot in a darkened theatre, the larger sensors are the way to go. In a related manner, the larger sensors typically have as good or better color noise performance at the higher ISO settings. Often, it is lots better. Again, that favors the photographer shooting in a dark place.

A few of us are mostly wildlife shooters, so we are typically trying to stick monster lenses to the front to be able to reach out and snap that animal a quarter mile away. There, the APS-C sensor gives an apparent extra magnification of x1.5 or x1.6 as compared to full frame, so APS-C is the way to go for wildlife. I used the term "apparent" because it really doesn't magnify it, it just makes it seem as it does.

So, as always, you need to plan what kind of photography is your priority, and then get equipped for that.

–B.G.–

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Ya awesome advice. Thank you!

I'm definitely not in the market for a full frame camera. The dinky old t2i is great for me. It's just really big and heavy. I regularly blow up my prints but the sensor that is in the, almost 4 year old, t2i is more then adequate for that. The pictures are nice and crisp. A full frame would just be excessive for me.

My priority to to not sacrifice the quality of the image for a smaller camera. However i have a sneaking suspicion that with either the Sony NEX or the Olympus OMD the image quality would improve. Which just brings me to priority 2. Night shots. and Time Lapses would be a BIG PLUS.

So I guess my question is it what are people's experience with the Sony NEX and the Olympus OMD? Or the RX100? Anyone have any experience with night shots or time lapses? Anyone recommend a different camera?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Megan,

I'm in a similar position. I tried a smaller Canon P&S. While it has some really nice features, the sensor is way too small and it comes up short in low light situations and I've lost some awesome shots because of it (of course my lack of skill doesn't help either).

I'm in the process of researching mirror-less cameras. I think this gentleman does a great job of explaining the state of the market and discusses the pros and cons of the various sensor sizes, including and up to APS-C.

I'm still torn between the mirror-less options but the Sony NEX 6 & 7 are very tempting.

Of course I'm a big flake and as of right now I'm thinking about sticking with my DSLR and to start upgrading from my kit glass to something better like the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR so I can hike with one lens instead of two since it'll handle the wide shots and still zoom in for far away wildlife but then I could upgrade to the Nikon D7100 but then I'd still be stuck with kit glass and I really need to get out of Auto and start shooting in manual mode so putting me behind a D7100 is about as pointless as putting me in a F1 car so yeah…. yeah… the 18-300 is probably the way to go and wait on the upgrade for a few years and maybe then I'll just jump up to a FX chassis which would be REALLY sweet but I can still see how awesome it would be to have a smaller mirror-less option that's capable of taking professional quality shots you know… because it's smaller and lighter… but now the Nikon 1 AW1 is weather proof which is REALLY great for backpacking but I keep hearing that their mirror-less options are great for sports but are not as great in low light situations which is more important to me… so… oops…

Oh dear… did I just say all of that out loud? I'll be over here in my time out chair.

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

You may also want to look into the Fuji camera lineup.
    They have some great lenses.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Megan,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a d7100 (used to have d80) that I take everywhere hiking. I bought a Olympus TG-2 for fun at the pool and for portability, but it doesn't work for me for backpacking.

I am no considering the Sony a6000 (replaces the NEX lines)for a dedicated hiking camera. It is small and with the kit lens is down right tiny. I am thinking about getting it when released this month. I hope it can fit my needs.

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Hi Michael!

There are so many good option out there all around the same price point. I have no idea how to chose. If it was between 2 models I would go out and buy them and just try them but there seems to be SOOOOO many different models I'm at a loss.

Olympus OMD M5
    Olympus OMD ME10
    Sony NEX 7
    Sony a6000
    Sony RX100
    Fuji X-M1
    Fuji X-A1

What made you decide on the Sony a6000?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Nex 6/5 will probably be better/less noisy in low light than 7/a6000 due to lower pixel density. One advantage they also have over the Fujis you listed (though not true of x e2) and RX100 is a real viewfinder. I use a Sigma DP2m and get by without it but I really wish it had an EVF. If you're doing largish prints, which it sounds like you are, then I'm not sure the RX100 will cut it. I'm picky about prints, though, so some might disagree. I'd go nex 5n/6 or Fuji X-e2 based on your criteria. Buy used. Keh.com is super conservative with their grading and has great customer service. If you can find bargain rated stuff on there it's usually a good bet. Fredmiranda and getdpi forums are good for buying used as well.

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Thanks Brendan! Super helpful advice! Everyone seems to be leaning towards the Sony's. Good to know!

Also about the used gear. I've been looking on Craigslist a bunch. You can get a Sony NEX5 with a 16-50 lens for $500 on Craigslist. Seems like a great deal!

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

First Brendan makes some good points.

I decided for a variety of reasons. Weight, reviews, lens selection, controls. It was close between sony and Olympus for me. I wanted to go with Nikon since I'm ther already, but the cost isn't worth it.

Sony was lighter and cheaper than Olympus for the most part. Then I looked at which nex to get. I was considering the 7, but wanted to wait for the newest incarnation. I decided on the newest since it has a few new features/sensor. Then they dropped "nex" and changed the name!

But a used 7/5nex would work I think.

Several things I read that pushed one SLIGHTLY ahead:

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2012/backpacking-camera-breakdown-2012/

http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-cameras-hiking-2014

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sony_nex-7_review#.Uz8rZPldWao

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Hey Michael,

What's the difference MAJOR difference between the NEX 6 and the a7000? There are so many reviews out there my head is spinning. I think I agree with you. It's between a Sony NEX 6 and the OMD E-M10.

I like the m10 because it's so small and nice. But I have yet to get my hands on a Sony. Whichever one takes better picture will be the one i go with.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

I'm not considering the A7 because I do not need a full frame camera in the slightest. I'm really happy with what I have now with the expectation of the weight. Any of the cameras we've discussed will be an improvement so why waste the money on something I don't need.

Not to mention it's $1000 more then any of the cameras I'm looking at. I would much prefer to spend that money on new tents, sleeping bags, stoves, and the plethora of other things I could do with $1000.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Megan,
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3624269#forum-post-53110039

That covers it for me. I like what I hear about the menus and newer sensor. Xbut really i just want the newest. :)

Levon Jensen
    BPL Member

@levonjensen

Locale: Canadian Rockies

i used to use a sony nex 5n, and a 8mm rokinon f2.8 for star shots.

http://500px.com/photo/65801451 sample shot from my nex5n.

If you are on a budget, i would look into a used nex 5 or 5n, ( 5n has a better on off switch and that's about it. same sensor)

look into the new rokinon 10mm, the 8mm is a fisheye and the 10 should give a better FOV without the heavy distortion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039934-REG/rokinon_10m_e_10mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html

Rokinon , or samyang makes the best night photography lenses. and they are cheap.

The nex line lacks lenses, but for under 1000 you could have a top of the line night photography setup. which is less then most cameras.

If your not on a budget, I think the best compact camera at the moment, is the fuji xt-1, but its 1300 plus lenses.

And the A7-r ( the a7 is not worth buying) is the best camera for size and weight. if you have no budget, you would be looking at 2000 for the camera, and i think a wait on the rokinon lenses, not sure if they are out yet. and i think there 35mm is around a grand.

One more, if the weight of your old camera was ok, the canon 6d is the best star shot camera avaiable at the moment, and can be found for 1300-1400 , plus a rokinon 14mm f2.8 is the very best setup you can get.
    If star shots matter, that will be your best kit.

Feel free to pm me, i just went through the process and decided on a Nikon d610, but image quality for night/star shots was my only concern, and i can feel the weight :P

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Hey Levon,

THANK YOU! Awesome info, and exactly what I was looking for.

"The nex line lacks lenses, but for under 1000 you could have a top of the line night photography setup. which is less then most cameras."

Are you referring to a NEX 5 or 5n with the rokinon 10mm? That is the exact lens that I was looking at and I was wondering about samyang so thanks for the info!

I think if I changed I would go to a lighter and smaller set up. I just think I would use it more all around. Although I would LOVE to get both :-)

Levon Jensen
    BPL Member

@levonjensen

Locale: Canadian Rockies

yes the nex 5 or 5n ( or even the 5t, 3n to 3c ) they all use the same sensor i believe, and the rokinon/bower/samyang, 10mm f2.8. you could also look at there other lenses all are the best for the cost for landscapes.

And yes i find i use my lighter setup a lot more . and almost dread bringing my new gear out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools