Topic

FireLite 500 Specs in Error

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) FireLite 500 Specs in Error

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Reading Bill123's earlier post about an error in pot capacity (BPL Product Support branch), it should be noted that pretty much all the specs shown on the product webpage are wrong! Methinks the specs pertained to an old batch (the one with the ill-fitting lid) and the current mug/pot is altogether different:

Per BPL website:

Dimensions (height x dia.): 3.75 x 2.75 in (70 x 95 mm)
    Total Weight: 2.8 oz (79 g)
    Pot Only Weight: 2.4 oz (67 g)
    Lid Only Weight: 0.4 oz (12 g)
    Volume (BPL): 17.5 fl oz (500 ml)
    Volume (FireLite spec): 18.6 fl oz (550 ml)

Per my measurements:

Dimensions (height x dia.): 3.125 x 3.625 (at pot bottom)
    Dimensions (height x dia.): 3.125 x 3.875 (at pot lid)
    Total Weight: 2.4 oz
    Pot Only Weight: 2.0 oz
    Lid Only Weight: 0.4 oz
    Volume: 19 fl oz (562 ml) — filled to rim

Actually, I much prefer the new pot:

1. good-fitting lid
    2. lighter weight
    3. wider/squatter configuration is more efficient for my alcohol stove
    4. slightly bigger capacity — I boil 16oz. of water at a time and this helps reduce the chance of water boiling over

I haven't seen the old pot, but I am thinking that the new pot's bigger dimensions and lighter weight are due to its thinner walls. You can squash this pot with one hand, so use with care.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the information. I just purchased the BPL FireLite 550 (not 500 as indicated on the site) largely due to your information and observations.

Rich

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Richard, you're welcome. I think this pot is just about perfect for alky stove users who boil up to 2 cups of water. Enjoy.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hey Ben,
    I just weighed mine and got a total weight of 2.8 oz. as stated on the site so one of our scales is off (unless they vary pot to pot). Also, I can FIT 2 cups in mine but if I tried to boil it, it would certainly boil over. 16 oz. of water fills it right to the brim. That's OK w/ me though becasue many of the meals I make only require 1 or 1 1/2 cups and for cofee, the volume is more than adequate. Interesting…

I'm still happy with mine. The lid fits great and this is definitely going to be my solo pot.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jason:

While there may be some slight differences among the mugs, three fluid ounces of difference is a lot! Hmmm…

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Benjamin,
    My 550 has the same dimensions as yours, but it weighs 1.9 oz w/ lid and 1.4 oz w/o lid. I'm not trying to rub it in, that just seems like a large weight difference for such a light item.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Mine was shipped today and I hope to have it later this week. I will report on it then. If it is a 550 I will keep it as long as everything is OK. If it is a 500 I will be more reluctant.

I am beginning to wonder at this point if there is a mix of a corrected version of the original 500 and the new 550. That would account for the weight report of the 2.8 oz on one along with the volume difference of 3 oz. I am not sure about the one reported as the lid not fitting and the pot looking warped. That one may have been damaged new version or old.

As to the one reported at such a lower weight, that one sounds like it may be the pot without the handles and/or the scale is not reading properly.

Rich

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just finished talking with Jason… looks like we have at least three different avatars of the FireLite "500" roaming around…

Jason's pot makes no mention of capacity whatsoever. It weighs 2.8 oz with lid, and the cup wall is pretty robust (hence the heavier weight?). His pot dimensions, as indicated above, are also different.

My pot says 550. It weighs 2.4 oz with lid. I can crush the cup wall with my hand.

Your pot weighs just 1.9 oz with lid? I bet it's even thinner than my mug. Good for you that you got the lightest weight pot!

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

I'm suspecting that too. Mine doesn't say a model number on it and the weight is 2.8 oz. Also, Ben reports that his is somewhat malleable, but mine is sturdy. Given all the discrepancies, it seems to follow that there are at least 3 different versions/combinations floating around. What's going on???

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

"As to the one reported at such a lower weight, that one sounds like it may be the pot without the handles and/or the scale is not reading properly."

Sorry, I am talking about the pot w/o handles. I though you were also.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OK. So Bill's pot doesn't have handles.

Jason and mine do. Focusing on the pot with handles, looks like we have two different versions.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Wow, I didn't want to go through this again! I just want some consistency and an explanation. Seems like there might have been some creative "inventory" strategies going on. Can Addie or someone else from BPL clear this up? This is turning into a saga that's getting old.

Timothy Cristy

@tcristy

Locale: Ohio

I ordered last week and I think I got the same one as Jason. The dimensions matched the site except the height and diameter were reversed (2.75" high by 3.75" diameter), weighs 2.8 oz, holds barely more than 16 oz to the brim, heavy walled, no volume printed on it.

Tim

Stephen Boyd

@sim

Locale: Minnesowtah

I would like to order one of these but you guys have me concerned.

Sure would be nice to get some kind of response from someone in the know.

Steve

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Why not just call BPL's new toll-free number? 1-888-362-0999

Oh, and don't forget to report back! :)

Stephen Boyd

@sim

Ben

That sounds like a better opportunity for someone who has already purchased said pot and would like to voice their concerns over the discrepancy. Hint….Hint…. :-)

Steve

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Stephen:

Sure, if folks want to voice their concerns… but given that there are apparently more than one versions out there, your calling directly will allow you to specify which version you want.

Stephen Boyd

@sim

Ben

I'm afraid I have to completely agree with your logic.

I sent them an e-mail though. I spend all day talking to people on the phone at work so when I get home I avoid the phone like the plague.

We'll see what kind of response I get!

Steve

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Yikes! I wasn't aware we had so many different versions floating around. I'll see what I can find out with the models we still have in stock, but I think that our original design (the FL 500) was tweaked to be lighter and slightly bigger. It appears that our manufacturer sent us both models in this latest batch. The third version floating around has me mystified. I'll see what I can find. Until then, if you have questions/concerns, I will do my very best to answer them if you call me (or drop me a line through the customer support interface) here: 888.362.0999, ext. 102. Thanks all!

Stephen Boyd

@sim

Addie

I also responded to the e-mail you sent…..but now what happened to the FL550. Unless I'm going bonkers it has disappeared from the webstore altogether.

Steve

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

All I care about is my Caldera Kitchen (bought from AGG) with cozy and cone fits like a glove! I just got everything together plus the Esbit option and it all works perfectly.

I have the pot with handles and kind of felt like I was taking a chance getting it all to fit… but it's perfect. I love this little pot!

I put together my whole kitchen by adding a 10×11 microfiber towel,a mini dropper bottle for soap,a BPL long spoon, then I added a FBC cozy and weighed it. 10.2 ounces for everything but fuel and soap. Fuel and soap container weight is included.

I feel like this would be hard to top given the performance of a Caldera Cone. Whatever the dimensions are, looks like you'll get the right cone if you say "yep handles" or "nope SUL").

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Sam, I'm confused. Are you saying you use the Caldera setup with the Firelite 500 pot?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I agree with Sams comments on the Calderas, I use them with my Snow Peak pot and cup, but they make them for the 550 and 550SUL.
    I would not go back to the 'jenga stack' of homemade components again. Calderas are essentially the jetboil of the alcohol domain.
    550's here;
    http://www.traildesigns.com/products01.html#caldera

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

>"Sam, I'm confused. Are you saying you use the Caldera setup with the Firelite 500 pot?"

Kitchen is here
    http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=CKBP50&cat=86

Cone is here
    http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TDCB05H

Esbit kit is here
    http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TDESBT

Fits my UL550 like a glove. I love this setup.

Like I said, I took a chance that it actually fit the 550 and it does. Obviously this adds to the confusion. Hope it works out for everyone else too.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Hey all- we appreciate your concern, and the dust-up in the warehouse yesterday was pretty entertaining. Apparently, the manufacturer switched the specs on the latest order to arrive (FireLite 550s), and we did not catch it. They are phasing out the original pots (FireLite 500s). Unfortunately, our new and old stock got mixed together, creating this mass of confusion.

We're putting our stock of the 500s back on the site. The 550s will be up in the next day or two as a completely different product. Since the 500s are a closeout, here is a coupon you can use for 30% off both pots, whether handled or handle-less: firelite500

If you got a 550, but wanted a 500, please create an RMA and return the 550, then order a 500. If you got a 500, but wanted a 550, please do the same.

The Caldera Cones we have in the warehouse (which will be available for purchase next week) fit the 500 pots. We will have new Cones made for the 550s, and I do not have an ETA for those at this time.

We are sorry for tizzy – it really threw us for a loop too, and we had to open and check every single pot in inventory before I had any news for you. I'll monitor this forum for questions, but any RMA questions need to be asked in the support issue interface, please.

Thanks for being so diligent on checking up on us!
    Addie

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools