Topic

Torso length and sizing for GoLite packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Torso length and sizing for GoLite packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all

I am looking to buy a GoLite pack and am trying to figure out the sizing. it looks like there is very minimal difference between the torso length for a medium and a large. It seems the major difference between medium and large is the hipbelt…is this correct?
    My torso length measures 19.5'' and my waist is 33". Would a size medium be the best fit for me?

Thanks
    Dan

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Hi Dan,

If Golite packs' sizing hasn't changed in the last 3 yrs, then yes, the Medium is the way to go for you. I have a 21" torso and the Large fits with the belt on the crest of my hips.

Todd

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Todd

But according to the sizing chart on their website, a person with a 21" torso could use a large or a medium. What is your waist size?

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

On all of the pack sizes on the Quests the torso lengths are the same and equally adjustable. The only difference are the hipbelt sizes.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have an 18.5" measurement and much prefer the Large. You will always get significant torso collapse with a frameless pack so keep that in mind.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

I'm a 34" but it would fit me if I was skinnier, too.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Dan, I'd get a large. In fact, unless cost is a major factor I'd get another pack.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Dan, I'd get a large. In fact, unless cost is a major factor I'd get another pack."

Indeed.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Yeah,

The only Golite I really like is my modded Ion.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Why do you guys recommend another pack?

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I love the design of the pack bag and organization is great. I also think the hoop going directly on the side of the belt and spreading the weight is innovative. However, I think they were too weight conscious with the belt. The belt's height is very small and has little padding. I think that the short height, even compared to UL packs, like ULA's and Granite Gear packs are what caused it to slip at bigger weights for me and the belt material is not robust enough to carry the loads for which it is recommended. I imagine that the belt may work out for others carrying lighter loads and who have more meat on their hips and not skinny framed like me.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

So what would you all recommend? I am looking fora pack for longer trips 6-15 days. I want to have it framed, and it needs to carry 40-45lbs. What do you all think?

Dan

David Ure

@familyguy

Dan, definitely at those weights I would avoid a frameless pack. Given the volume and load requirement, I might look at the new Paradox Packs Unaweep. External framed and from all accounts an extremely comfortable pack at heavier weights. More expensive than the Golite, of course. Or head to http://www.Mchalepacks.com for a full custom load hauler.

Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

I have to agree, with those weights, a frameless pack will leave you miserable. I have a jam 70, and have had it up to 35lbs, and found it fairly uncomfortable. Also, for me, the packs seem to fit a bit small. Dont get me wrong though, for the money, i love this pack for loads closer to 30lbs.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

For 40-45 pounds you need a real frame don't even consider the Jam.

I'd suggest the Exped Lighting. It comes in a 45 and a 60 liter version. Its normally pretty pricey ($250) but I saw some as low as $129 on sales (apparently they are about to release an updated version)

The only other Ultra Light pack that will carry 40-45 pounds would be one of the larger packs by HMG. Also pricey ($280ish)

If you're on a budget there are cheaper packs out there but they will be heavier. However I would MUCH rather used a comfortable 4-5 pound pack with big loads then a 2 pound Jam.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Paradox is certainly worth looking at. Their belt is by far the best I've used, and the load adapting frame works well. Available as big as you'd like. I haven't seen a Unaweep in person yet, but the concept is pretty unbeatable for expedition ultralight. I built myself a bag along the Unaweep concept, with the Paradox frame and belt integrated into it, and used it for a week in the Grand Canyon recently. 40 pounds was no problem.

A ULA Catalyst would get the job done weight-wise, but might be a bit small for two weeks.

More readily available packs like the Granite Gear Blaze or Leopard come to mind as well.

Edit: Given the presumptive weight, I assume you're looking at the Quest, rather than the Jam (which I and others first thought of). I haven't seen any reliable reports of the most recent version, but the older version was certainly well regarded. Chris Townsend did a favorable review here quite a few years ago.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

I am not looking at the Jam. I am looking at the Quest which has a frame, and its listed at carrying up to 50lbs. Is there a reason to steer away from the Quest? At $120 it seems like a great pack for a great price!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Okay the Quest makes more sense. I looked at a Quest very briefly in an REI once but didn't do much with it. Golite packs tend to be decent quality so I think it would be a good deal for the money IF it fits right. If you can try it on at an REI that would be ideal. If not order one from a place that takes returns.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Unfortunitely, I dont live ANYWHERE close to an REI (4-5 hours away). SO anything I get, I am buying online…

David Ure

@familyguy

Sorry Dan. I too was speaking of the Jam.

No experience with the Quest.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

So…knowing I am looking at the Quest instead of the Jam. DO you all still recommend a different pack?

David Ure

@familyguy

I think for the loads and volume requirement you require, the Quest is not the right choice.

Some others have been mentioned alternatives in previous posts. You may want to get in contact with Dave C above with respect to the Paradox packs.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

I have the previous generation of Quest (the version that was tested in the backpackinglight SOTM report), and I love it. But I've never carried more than 35 pounds with it. Mine weighs 3 lbs 1.6 oz without any trimming.

The current Quest is a totally different pack and significantly heavier at 3 lbs 12 oz. Because of its weight, I don't think many bpl'ers own it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools