Topic

Glacier National Park in mid/late September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Glacier National Park in mid/late September

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

Greetings. You guys were super helpful in helping me find a trip for my mother and I during the winter (we went to Death Valley and enjoyed it quite a bit).

My girlfriend and I want to do the Northern Traverse in Glacier National Park. The difficulty is that my schedule will only allow me to go in late September, likely no earlier than September 20 or 21st. Is this possible to do safely? We don't have training with ice axes and crampons but can handle a bit of snow.

We tried to do this route several years ago in August but it ended due to an injury. We've been talking about trying again, and we'd like to do it this year if possible.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Safety shouldn't be an issue in terms of snow travel, but might be due to hypothermia. In late September you might have excellent weather with cold nights, or you might have nasty rain/snow mix. I'd say it's worth rolling the dice.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Like Dave said, mid- to late-September in Glacier can be fantastic, or it can be rough–it all depends on when winter starts. I'd do it if I were you. It's one of my favorite times to get into the park.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

In a lot of years, the first big winter-type storms will start in late September. These can be multi-day storms with a lot of precipitation.

This year, the first storm hit on September 18th and brought snow down to 5,000' and a lot of cold rain below that. We were lucky to finish our CDT hike that day. Other folks a couple of days behind us ended up having to road walk through the park.

If you're ahead of the storms, the great. If not, it would make for an unpleasant trip.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Yes. End of September that far north is rolling the dice for weather.
    You could plan that trip and something further south with more dependable weather that time of year. Then decide between the two a few days before after looking at the weather forecast. Be flexible.

Billy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools