Topic

Concerning the Wilderness Serape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Concerning the Wilderness Serape

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Concerning the Wilderness Serape

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

If someone is interested in this concept there are some "tactical brands" trying to improve the classic "poncho liner" as hill people gear, kifaru (woobie),snugpak (poncho liner) and others…..

But there is a small brand with incredible designers (782 gear)they designed real UL "tactical gear" (smokin series) .. they produce one under 10oz poncho liner with hood…. the smoke kloke …

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Very similiar to the JRB Sierra Sieries of quilts… The current models of the original JRB No Sniveller quilt, cica 2004.

Nice concept.

Pan

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

As John so modestly mentioned, the Jack-R-Better folks have had this concept for the last 10 years using down. Their line of quilts offering a Velcro head hole work great. Yes it lacks the advantages of the synthetic insulation mentioned above, but it is a lighter system. Your sleeping quilt is your coat is your Serape.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The HPG Wilderness Serape is far more versatile than the No Sniveller so they're only slightly comparable items in my opinion. Zippered edges, cinch cord for hitching it up around the waist, and full hood on the HPG. That being said, JRB deserves much praise for popularizing the DIY woobie mod design and introducing it to the UL crowd many years ago.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a Therm-a-Rest Tech Blanket that can fill the same niche. It has a drawstring to form a foot box and snaps to mate it with a sleeping pad to use as a quilt.

It is compact but too heavy when compared with UL quilt desings. With lighter cloth and higher quality fill, it would make a good summer quilt or cold season supplement. I would definitely add a head hole to allow use as summer camp insulation.

It works very well as a warm weather top quilt in a hammock.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

RE: JRB vs. HPG

HPG "slightly comparable item … Zippered edges, cinch cord for hitching it up around the waist, and full hood"

FWIW – in addition to being much lighter, the JRB has the advantage of being modular in that it can be fitted with a full hood and it can be fitted with arms, and it is easy to have a waist tie … so, the JRB may be more comparable than what a first glance would indicate … just saying ;-)

BPL review of the JRB Hood
    JRB hood Photo of the waist tie from the JRB website:
    JRB serape

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Tony's photos very clearly show that if you want to dress up as a giant turtle in the back country then JRB quilts are the gold standard:).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The serape concept is just like the cape rain gear/shelter combo. It is not a fashion statement, but it makes sense to use your sleep insulation in camp rather than carry another pound of insulation to keep you warm for the relatively short period of camp time until you are ready to sleep.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Nessmuk had a blanket bag of mackinac wool in the 1800's. Poncho liners have been around since Vietnam. Clint Eastwood, the epitome of wild, helped sell a lot of Sears ponchos (as far as I know no relation to Nessmuk) back in the day.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Clint Eastwood, the epitome of wild…

…and apparently for $320 it can still be yours…

http://hollywoodprop.com/spaghettiponchos.htm

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Very interesting article. In particular having a synthetic top quilt really makes sense to me for certain tough conditions and then using it to supplement a lighter jacket is smart.

I wore my JRB quilt a few times, before I decided it was much too narrow for me and handed it on the my youngest boy. Most of the time I like to have a synthetic jacket with me, so a wearable down quilt wasn't that useful for me personally.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

JRB vs Chenault Serape

JRB has great products … great enough for me to make an MYOG sniveler knockoff (albeit with synthetic insulation)

But as a serape alternative?

Consider that you'll be using the work horse of your sleep system as outerwear … in marginal conditions.

Consider that down is less damp/wet weather tolerant than synthetic

Consider than the JRB sniveler offers 2.5 inches of down insulation … much more insulation than the Chenault Serape … much more than most would want to have at even moderate activity unless you are talking weather much colder than the quilt would handle as a sleep system … even if augmented by clothing (unless you are packing down pants and parka)

Consider that all the sniveler photos I've seen are in fair weather

Consider that Dave (and others) are not one to stay home just because weather is far from ideal.

Consider Dave's suggested use of "going to get water on a cold morning" … I won't be squatting at the edge of an icy stream with a down quilt dangling.

Two great ideas … but suitable for different applications.

David Ure

@familyguy

Integral Designs had a similar design for years:

http://www.fellfab.com/military/poncho-liner-blanket/

steve flinn
    BPL Member

@steveflinn

has anyone hereabouts actually tried using the Mountain Laurel Designs “Spirit” quilt-with-headhole? i used to use a wool blanket under a pvc poncho on the redwood coast…fine down to freezing if i slept in my clothes (which in the 70’s was still jeans and an army fatigue shirt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools