Topic

Gränsfors-Bruks Mini Hatchet Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Gränsfors-Bruks Mini Hatchet Review

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Good warning, a lot of people abuse their hatchets till they are basically a blunt instrument. This breeds carelessness.

I used a sharp axe once and was very surprised by what it could do. It was more fatiguing then a saw but just about as fast (if not faster in some cases).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Like I said, small axes have been used by hunters for field butchering game for millennia. They might be a little less handy at the table.

I have a scary sharp cleaver for such things in the kitchen.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

From my ancestral home.

Vikings were famous for axes.

Better price -$31

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Hatchet-1-2-lbs-Handle/dp/B004VLKLJE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TYTZWB0M4RE39541N4S

They make good sewing machines, target rifles, chain saws and motorcycles too.

Joe Cameron
    BPL Member

@docones6005

Locale: Southeast U.S.

I am a "bushcrafter" that is leaning into UL. So it's cool to see this thread.

I'm a fan of knife/saw combos and have an EKA Viking for hunting and expeditions and a dual direction chain saw for regular backpacking. I use them both frequently. I recently switched from an ESEE knife to the LMF/Mora knife which works well for all types of applications, including light batoning.

I understand LNT techniques, but fires are useful and when care is taken when finding wood (nothing green) it is actually helpful to the environment in the Midwest (where I live). Local agencies support fire building to decrease the amount of large fuel available to grass fires and when clearing areas to create fire breaks in the event of one. Just last week a ranger in the Buffalo National River Preserve told me to build a fire to dry out my clothes. When I commented on LNT he said as long as it's already dead and displaced that it just saves him work and keeps the park safer when dealing with fires (they control burn regularly).

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

From my perspective, it's a neat backcountry toy. I wouldn't mind having one. But I certainly wouldn't put it into an essential category.

Not that there's anything wrong with toys or non-essentials.
    I lump my larger, fixed blade knives into the same category.
    I can always find plenty of fun and useful things to do with them when I have them. Feathersticks, batoning wood, bushcrafty stuff…
    But when I don't have them, I don't miss them. Something as small as a Spyderco Ladybug can handle any realistic chores I need done.

I think part of it is simply regional; being in the southwest there simply isn't much to do with a hatchet if I'm not looking for things to do with a hatchet.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Knives and saws can do most of what you'd use a hatchet for, except for splitting wood efficiently (yes you can baton wood with a good quality knife but a good ax or hatchet is much easier). A slightly longer, heavier and properly sharpened hatchet will do that much better than the Mini. But no matter which tools you use, practice is essential so that you can use them well before you really need to.

+ 1 Tony – I'd love to see an article on bushcraft basics, with light weight in mind.

In the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts we spent a lot of time learning how to use axes and hatchets and processing downed trees and branches. Miracle none of use injured ourselves or others. Ax use and fire-building practice really helped the scoutmasters keep us busy. Yes it was fun.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

"I think part of it is simply regional; being in the southwest there simply isn't much to do with a hatchet if I'm not looking for things to do with a hatchet."

Growing up in a logging town in Canada I was given a hatchet at 8 years old. Bushcraft was a given. Lots of conifers, long winters, firemaking and shelter building were highly emphasized in our scout troop. LNT not so much. I agree with other posts that it was great fun and a hatchet in skilled hands is a highly efficient shelter and firemaking tool.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I bought a GB Mini Hatchet a couple years ago. After using it a while I found I liked it so much that I soon bought a GB Wildlife Hatchet, and later a GB Small Forest Axe. They're classic tools, very well made and a joy to use. I think my favorite is the Small Forest Axe, which is really too big for backpacking but is perfect for car-camping. Here's a fun video featuring the Small Forest Axe from a guy who knows a bit on the topic:

Choosing a Proper Hatchet

Edward GOUVIER
    BPL Member

@egouvier

I have several of the Gransfors-Bruks product line. Based on 2+ decades of practical experience, these are amongst the finest in existence. Cost aside, comparison of an AB to say a Gerber product (which is good too), is like comparing an original Van Gogh to a poster. With a modicum of care, the AB axe will still be serving you great-great grand children rather well indeed. For those looking for a lightweight axe with a longer handle, the GB wildlife hatchet should serve nicely.

egouvier

PS: for more information, beg, borrow or buy the Gransfors "Axe Book" which tells the story about how these are made.

Corrina Peipon
    BPL Member

@corrina

Locale: Southern California

Beautiful hatchet! Would love to hear about the shelter / pack that is pictured in this article. Is it oilcloth? What is the rope technique? Gear list, method, et cetera…

Jeffrey Hlavac
    BPL Member

@jmhlavac

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Super late post but had to comment. I read this article a couple years ago and since then have always wanted to get the GF Mini-Hatchet but never really had the need or want to justify the cost. This last weekend I went backpacking in the Oregon Cascades, about 4500′, Memorial Day weekend. The snow had just melted and the established campsite was fairly clean of firewood. The small saw I brought worked great for managing a few nearby fallen (dead) small trees but the wood was still so wet that I think this little hatchet would have helped quite a bit. Normally I wouldn’t care if a fire wasn’t going to happen but we had our kids with us and it was chilly so fires a game changer for moral. Fortunately my buddy and I had enough esbits to make it work but it was a process. I think being able to split wet, 2-3 inch diameter logs would have saved us a lot of work. Of course I ordered one as soon as I got home and can’t wait to try. The main reason for the post is to shed light on the many that say a small saw and knife will do just fine. In my last weekend’s experience that was not the case.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools